Some states have particular laws dictating how farseeing an insurance ship’s company has to make a rule and pay out on a claim. For exemplar, insurers in California have 40 days to accept or deny a claim and 30 days to issue payment once the settlement has been accepted. And in Texas, insurers must decide on a call within 45 days and make the payment within five days of approval .
not all states provide exact timeframes, though. In Massachusetts, for exemplar, policy companies must pay claims where fault is clear within a “ prompt and reasonable ” period of time .
Factors That Affect the Claim Timeline
- State timeframes for insurance claims (some states are stricter than others)
- Type of claim being filed (bodily injury takes longer than property damage)
- Extent of physical damage or injuries (severe accidents can take a long time to settle)
- Communication between drivers, insurance companies, and adjusters (slow communication delays the claim timeline)
- Understanding of policy and coverage (you might think your policy covers you in a situation when it really doesn’t)
- Ability to pay insurance deductible (your insurance company won’t pay out until you’ve paid your deductible)
In particular, the type of claim being filed and the extent of the physical price or injuries involved can significantly impact the payout timeline. Bodily injury claims take the longest to settle because multiple parties are involved, including your sophisticate, the cable car policy company, and your health insurance supplier.
Read more: The Best Car Insurance Companies for 2022
injury settlements normally have to wait until the affected role has reached the point of maximal aesculapian improvement ( MMI ). This is when an individual has made a full convalescence or has a full assessment of the extent of their injuries and the expected long-run aesculapian costs. If it takes longer than 30 days for the patient to recover, then the colonization could be pushed rear .
conversely, a aboveboard property damage call where fault is clearly can be settled in arsenic little as two weeks .
If Your Insurance Company Is Not Cooperating
even if your state doesn ’ metric ton have specific laws establishing a claims timeline, you still have the correct to be paid promptly and efficiently by the indemnity company. If your indemnity party is acting in an unethical manner and delaying payment without a clear reason, you can file a “ badly religion ” lawsuit. In addition to your master village sum, you could be paid extra for interest and penalties.