- Multiple policy discounts available: GEICO has several discounts which can reduce your insurance premiums, including good-driver discounts, multi-policy discounts, military discounts, student driver discounts.
- Top-rated mobile app: GEICO’s mobile app earned the highest overall ranking in the Keynova Q2 2021 Mobile Insurance Scorecard among the 12 largest U.S. auto insurers. With the app, you can report an auto claim, pay your bill with a single tap, access digital insurance cards, and access GEICO’s virtual assistant, Gabby, for help.
- Solid third-party ratings: AM Best, the credit rating agency for the insurance industry, issued GEICO an A++ financial strength rating, its highest possible rating. In J.D. Power’s U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, GEICO was ranked 12th out of 25 national insurers.
Reading: GEICO Car Insurance Review
- Accident Forgiveness not available in all states: With accident forgiveness, you’re protected from premium rate increases as a result of your first at-fault accident. While Accident Forgiveness can be earned or purchased with GEICO in most states, it’s not available everywhere. If you live in California, Connecticut, or Massachusetts, you’re ineligible for Accident Forgiveness.
- Finding a local agent may be difficult: While GEICO does have some insurance agents, it has far fewer than many of its competitors because it mainly focuses on allowing customers to purchase online. If you need more personalized guidance and want to connect with an agent, it may be difficult to find one nearby.
- GEICO doesn’t offer gap insurance: Gap insurance covers the difference between your car’s actual value and what you owe on it if it’s totaled in an accident or stolen. Unfortunately, GEICO doesn’t offer gap insurance, so you’d have to purchase gap coverage when you finance your vehicle from the lender.
GEICO Car Insurance coverage
GEICO ‘s car indemnity includes the play along coverage :
Liability coverage includes :
- Bodily injury liability: This coverage pays for damages for bodily injuries or death resulting from accidents where you are at fault.
- Property damage liability: This coverage pays for damages to property resulting from accidents where you are at fault.
medical coverage includes :
- Medical payments coverage: Medical payments coverage pays for medical expenses resulting from a car accident.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): PIP covers your medical treatments, lost wages, or other accident-related expenses, regardless of who was at fault in the accident.
Uninsured Motorist Coverages
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage protects you in shell you ’ re in an accident where the other driver is at fault and either is uninsured or has insufficient coverage to pay your claim .
There are two parts to vehicle coverage :
- Collision: Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle when it hits, or is hit, by another vehicle or object, such as a deer.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your car resulting from theft, vandalism, storms, or other covered losses.
You can lower your monthly premiums by raising your collision and comprehensive deductibles .
You besides can add optional coverages to your GEICO policy :
- Emergency Road Service: You can get roadside assistance for as little as $14 per year per vehicle. Unlike other insurance companies, where you have to pay for services provided, towing coverage is included with your GEICO roadside assistance. Roadside assistance also can help you with jump starts for a dead car battery, a flat tire, or lockout services (up to $100).
- Rental Reimbursement: Rental reimbursement will help pay a portion of your rental car costs if you need to rent a vehicle while your car is being repaired as a result of a covered claim.
- Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI): Instead of buying your car manufacturer’s extended warranty, you can purchase GEICO’s MBI for new or leased cars that are less than 15 months old with less than 15,000 miles. After a $250 deductible on a covered loss, MBI covers repairs on all mechanical parts of the car (except for maintenance and regular wear and tear). Progressive offers a similar program called WarrantyDirect, but it’s provided through a third party, and older vehicles are eligible. However, it tends to be more expensive.
Factors That Affect Your Costs
multiple factors impact how GEICO determines your insurance rates. Actuaries identify statistical patterns to determine risk degree. Age, driving have, drive commemorate, the embrace fomite ‘s guard features, where you live, and your credit history are some of the factors GEICO considers .
The recognition history GEICO and other car insurers consider is not the lapp as your credit score. They calculate a credit-based indemnity seduce .
Like most insurers, GEICO does require you to select “ male ” or “ female ” when you request a quote for car policy. unfortunately, its underwrite action has not been updated to reflect broader awareness of non-binary, genderqueer, agender, and bigender issues .
GEICO Car Insurance Discounts
GEICO has a number of discounts that can lower your car insurance bills .
- Airbag Discount: Save up to 23% if your vehicle has airbags. These discounts apply to the medical payments or personal injury portion of your car insurance.
- Anti-Lock Brakes Discount: If your car has a factory-installed anti-lock brake system, you’ll receive a 5% discount from your collision premium.
- Anti-Theft System: If your vehicle has a built-in anti-theft system, you’ll get up to 25% off your comprehensive portion of your premium.
- Daytime Running Lights: Vehicles with daytime running lights could qualify for a 3% discount on certain coverages.
- New Vehicle Discount: Cars that are three model years old or newer could qualify for a 15% discount on certain coverages.
Driving History and Habits
- Good Driver Discount: If you haven’t been in an accident for five years or more, you could save up to 22% on most coverages.
- Seat Belt Use Discount: If you and your passengers always wear your seatbelts, you could qualify for a discount on your medical payments or personal injury protection premiums.
Driver ’ s education
- Defensive Driving Discount: If you participated in a defensive driving course, you may qualify for a discount on your premiums.
- Driver’s Education Discount: If a young driver in your household took a driver’s education course, they may qualify for a discount on most coverages.
- Good Student Discount: Full-time students with a “B” average or better can qualify for a 15% discount on most coverages.
- Emergency Deployment Discount: If you’re in the military and are part of an emergency deployment to an imminent danger zone, you could qualify for a 25% discount on your auto insurance.
- Federal Employee Discount: Active and retired federal employees can qualify for the eagle discount and get 12% off their total car insurance premium.
- Membership and Employee Discounts: If you belong to a membership organization or are employed by a participating company, you may qualify for an additional discount.
- Military Discount: Military service members, veterans, and members of the National Guard and Reserves may be eligible for a 15% discount on their total car insurance premiums.
- Multi-Vehicle Discount: If you have more than one car insured with Geico, you could get up to 25% off your car insurance coverage.
- Multi-Policy Discount: When you bundle your auto insurance with Geico’s other insurance products, such as homeowners or mobile home insurance, you could get a multi-policy discount.
GEICO Car Insurance Availability
GEICO provides car indemnity to residents of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Coverage limits, discounts, and payment options can vary by department of state.
GEICO Customer Service
Unlike other cable car policy companies, which rely on insurance agents to sell to customers, GEICO sells directly to customers online. You can get a quote and purchase indemnity policies online without ever having to speak to a representative. however, customer patronize is available via phone, e-mail, or through the mobile app. GEICO ’ s virtual adjunct Gabby besides can answer questions about insurance and avail you find information about your policy .
GEICO ’ s mobile app is an industry leader, winning multiple awards. available for download on the AppStore or Google Play, you can access your policy cards, contact wayside aid, get photograph estimates for repairs, and review your car ’ second sustenance history .
GEICO does have a solid reputation in the indemnity industry. AM Best, a credit fink agency focused on the indemnity industry, gave Geico an “ A++ ” ( Superior ) Financial Strength fink, its highest rat. AM Best ’ second Financial Strength ratings measure an insurance company ’ south stability and its ability to meet its contract obligations. A caller with high ratings can be relied on to pay out its benefits when you file a claim .
In J.D. Power ’ south 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study GEICO was ranked 12th out of 25 national car insurers .
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners ( NAIC ) has a database of all complaints received about insurance companies. The NAIC publishes companies ’ charge ratios, meaning the count of complaints a ship’s company received the previous year relative to its market share .
Scores of 1.0 are considered median. Anything higher than 1.0 means the company received more complaints than average, while scores below 1.0 mean the company received fewer complaints than average .
For 2020, GEICO ’ s NAIC complaint proportion was 1.70, meaning it had received more complaints than the average for a company of its size .
other Insurance Provided by GEICO
GEICO is most well known for its cable car insurance, but it besides provides coverage for a wide-eyed image of policies like :
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Flood insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Pet insurance
- Jewelry insurance
- Business insurance
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim with GEICO
You can make a claim via the mobile app, at www.geico.com/claims, or by calling 800-841-3000 .
To report a claim, you will be asked to provide :
- The state where the incident occurred
- The date and time it happened
- A description of what happened
- If applicable, include the police report number, contact information for other involved parties, and property owner information if you have it
After you complete the report, you ’ ll receive a confirmation electronic mail. A GEICO claim examiner will call you to explain next steps and to schedule a time for a GEICO car damage adjuster to inspect your vehicle ’ mho damage. If it ’ second dependable to drive, they ’ ll schedule a time for you to bring it into a repair workshop. If not, GEICO will send the adjuster to the fomite ’ second placement .
You can choose your own repair shop class, or you can opt for one of GEICO ‘s Auto Repair Xpress facilities for your car ’ randomness repairs .
ampere soon as the probe is complete, GEICO will send a check to you for the repairs for your cable car, minus your deductible .
GEICO Car Insurance cancellation policy
You can cancel your GEICO car policy at any time without paying a cancellation fee. To cancel, follow these steps :
- Call 800-841-1587 to speak with an agent.
- When prompted by the automated system, say “cancel insurance policy” and then say “auto.”
- Be ready to provide the agent with your auto insurance policy number.
Get a GEICO Car Insurance Quote
You can get a quotation mark for Geico car policy on-line, through the app, or over the telephone at 800-207-7847, but on-line is typically the most popular approach .
To get a quote, you should be ready to provide the follow information :
- Your car’s year, make, and model
- Your car’s VIN number
- Your car’s financing information
- Your car’s mileage and estimated use
- Your Social Security number
- Your birth date
- Your gender
- Your marital status
- Your education level
- Your driver’s license number
- Your contact information
GEICO will use this information to give you quotes with different coverage options which you can customize based on your needs. once you ’ re meet with your quote, GEICO will review your drive record to finalize your quotation mark and premiums .
Compare other Car Insurance Reviews
Since GEICO focuses on selling directly to customers online, it lacks the personalize attention that some insurers offer with indemnity agents. It ’ s important to do your research and compare multiple car indemnity companies to ensure you get the right coverage at the best price for your needs. For some early companies to consider, check out our picks for the best car insurance companies .
For a primarily online-only policy have, GEICO is a solid and low-cost choice for a wide-eyed range of people. You can get a quote on-line, through the app, or over the call, and you can purchase your policy on-line without ever talking to an agentive role. The caller offers a wide range of discounts and other indemnity products, including renters indemnity and pet policy. GEICO ‘s high customer service rankings, impressive mobile app, and across-the-board coverage options make for a compel car insurance option.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with indifferent, comprehensive reviews of cable car policy providers. We reviewed each indemnity provider ‘s coverage options, discounts available, customer overhaul, and atonement to ensure that our content helps users make the right insurance decisiveness for their needs .