In this article:
Geico And Progressive Highlights
Geico and Progressive are both long-familiar companies for a reason. Each is a national insurance company that services a large book of customers. Both are among our top-recommended car indemnity providers because they offer authentic coverage and competitive rates. Let ‘s take a expect at some of the highlights of Geico vs. Progressive :
|Motor1 Overall Rating||4.5||4.5|
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A++||A+|
|Motor1 Claims Service Score||3||3|
|New Car Replacement||✓||✓|
Geico Vs. Progressive: Coverage Options
Both Geico and Progressive provide standard coverage in all 50 states. These coverage options include :
- Liability auto insurance (bodily injury/property damage): This covers damage you inflict on other people and their property during an accident.
- Collision: This covers the cost of damages to your own car if you get into a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive car insurance: This covers any other damages to your vehicle that aren’t due to a collision, such as theft, vandalism, natural disasters, civil disturbances, and more.
- Medical payments (MedPay): This covers the costs of vehicle-related medical treatments for both yourself and your passengers, regardless of who is at fault in an accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): PIP is similar to MedPay, but MedPay only covers medical bills. PIP covers medical treatment and other injury-related losses such as lost wages from days you are unable to work.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM): This protects you in the case that you get into an accident with a motorist who doesn’t have enough insurance and consequently can’t cover your expenses.
Most car policy companies offer standard insurance like liability coverage. What you in truth want to look at when comparing Progressive vs. Geico is the extra types of cable car insurance coverage and other indemnity options for your home, rental property, and more.
|Usage-based insurance||Yes, in some states||Yes, in 48 states|
|Guaranteed asset protection||No||Yes|
|Rideshare insurance||Yes, in 39 states||Yes, in 35 states and Washington, D.C.|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes, in 47 states||Yes|
|Other vehicle insurance (boat, motorcycle, recreational vehicle)||Yes, in 47 states||Yes|
|Mechanical breakdown coverage||Yes||No|
|Homeowners insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Renters insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Life insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Business insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Flood insurance||Yes (National Flood Insurance Program)||Yes (National Flood Insurance Program)|
|Umbrella liability insurance||Yes||Yes, in 42 states|
Roadside aid is an crucial consideration for many drivers. After all, who wants to be stranded on the side of the road after an accident or breakdown ? Both Geico and Progressive provide this coverage as an addition. While the plans cost about the same come of money, the demand services can vary. here ’ s a closer comparison of Progressive vs. Geico.
|Roadside Assistance Program||Geico||Progressive|
|Flat tire change||✓||✓|
|Dead battery jump-start||✓||✓|
|Fuel and fluid delivery||✓||✓|
Both providers offer all the standard features included with most wayside aid packages.
Geico Vs. Progressive: Cost And Discounts
In our research, we found that Geico broadly offers lower car policy rates than Progressive. however, this may not constantly be the case depending on your details and driving history. The merely way to know for sure how much a policy from one of these car insurers will cost is to obtain quotes from each. That ’ mho because premiums are affected by the follow factors.
- Location: Car insurance premiums differ not only by state but also by your local area. If you live in a congested urban area, you will pay more than a driver living in rural America.
- Policy coverage: Whether you choose minimum or full coverage auto insurance can dramatically affect how much you pay.
- Deductible: Choosing a lower car insurance deductible may help keep money in your pocket after a claim, but it will increase your insurance premium.
- Age: Teen drivers pay more because of the additional risk. The more driving experience you have, the lower your rates.
- Driving record: If you are a safe driver with few or no infractions, you can expect to pay less for auto insurance.
- Credit score: Insurance companies look at your credit history to determine your reliability.
- Vehicle type: The car you drive also determines how much you will pay. Some cars cost more to repair because of expensive or rare parts. Before you buy a car, it helps to get a quote to see how expensive it will be to insure.
The following mistreat in shop is to look at available car policy discounts. You could have a higher base premium with one company but then get a lower cost in the goal because of discount eligibility. Let ’ s compare Progressive vs. Geico by looking at discounts for students, military, and more.
|Pay in full||✓||✓|
|Anti-lock brake system||✓|
|Affinity Membership Alum||✓|
Geico offers a higher number of discount rate opportunities than Progressive, but by a minor come. It ‘s more crucial to check which provider offers more discounts you qualify for. Some drivers may find lower rates with Progressive and others with Geico. For exercise, our quotation inquiry found that Progressive tends to offer lower rates for bad drivers ( those with accidents or DUIs on their late drive phonograph record ). The lone way to know which insurance company is cheaper for you is to compare quotes from each, which you can do for free downstairs.
Geico Vs. Progressive: Reviews
Both of these insurers have a reputation for entertaining advertisements – with the Geico Gecko and Progressive ’ s Flo. But what do diligence experts think ? here ’ s a flying look at Progressive vs. Geico ratings from the BBB, AM Best, and J.D. exponent :
|BBB Complaints in Last Year||894||1,160|
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A++||A+|
|J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study Ranking||869 / 1,000||856 / 1,000|
|J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study Ranking||871 / 1,000||856 / 1,000|
When it comes to customer satisfaction, Geico decidedly shines. Geico ’ randomness strong BBB rat shows that the company is able to handle complaints in a timely and effective manner. J.D. Power ’ sulfur Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM placed Geico on par with the industry average, while Progressive was near the bottom of the insurers in the learn.
however, both companies showed strong fiscal strength, proving that they are able to fulfill claims for customers. When you compare on-line reviews for Progressive vs. Geico, you can find positive and minus reviews for both insurers.
“ I have had numerous big-name indemnity carriers for both place and car policy, but Geico is the very best insurance company I have had. They in truth focus on excellent customer service and provide seamless and quick service. If you want the most for your buck go with Geico. I am very grateful to Geico for being there for me when I needed them. ” – alexander G. via Trustpilot
“ I have been a Geico customer for over 10 years. When my car policy was improving for refilling, I decided to shop around for competitive rates only to learn that there was a mysterious looking glass claim on my indemnity record. I called Geico and asked what the claim was for and to whom it was paid. No answers. They admitted nothing was paid and the claim was closed. so nowadays, because of Geico ‘s error, my rates will go up upon renewal and for any other providers quoting an policy policy. Because of this I was determined to find another insurance supplier. ” – KK via BBB
“ Lowest price I got for car indemnity. The agent that helped me to get started was great. I was able to renew on-line myself and the web site was extremely easy to use. ” – Emma via Trustpilot
“ They are not there for you when you need them the most. I switched to Progressive from [ another ] company that was great for a lower premium. I paid my premiums in fully, and then an accident happened. Their claims adjuster tries to find a rationality not to cover me rather of giving me that warm feel of being covered. immediately things will need to go to arbitration just to try to get them to cover me. ” – Nathan S. via BBB
infelicitous customers with both companies tend to complain about difficulty with the claims process. It is significant to note, however, that in both cases such complaints represent a small fraction of guarantee customers.
Geico Vs. Progressive: Online Tools And Apps
Both Progressive and Geico have mobile-friendly websites and mobile apps. Using these tools, you can manage your car insurance policy on-line, pay your premiums, get access to ID cards, upload damage photos for claims, and call for wayside aid. In accession, each company provides some supernumerary digital tools to make policy policy management easier.
- DriveEasy®: Geico’s usage-based tool can save you up to 20 percent on your monthly bill.
- Vehicle Care: This system reminds you when your vehicle requires maintenance.
- Locators: Easily find gas stations, nearby attractions, or parking with this tool.
- Voice Assistance: You can use your Alexa device, Google Assistant, or Google Home.
- Find a Ride: Use the mobile app to hire a Lyft driver.
- Name Your Price®: This tool helps you find a policy that works with your budget.
- Snapshot®: This is part of Progressive’s usage-based program. The app monitors your driving to see if you qualify for additional discounts.
- Virtual Assistance: Use Google Home or Flo Chatbot (a Facebook Messenger app) for additional help.
Which Is Best: Progressive Or Geico?
While liberal offers lower rates for bad drivers, Geico boasts slenderly higher customer gratification and offers lower policy rates for most drivers. Both provide broad coverage car insurance and a senior high school number of deduction opportunities. progressive and Geico are both top-rated choices for car policy. After looking closely at Progressive vs. Geico, Geico comes out on top, but not by much. For more information on each of the insurers, check out our progressive policy review and our Geico review.
|Pros||+ Competitive rates + numerous discounts, including for federal employees + Mechanical dislocation coverage||+ Easy quote march + low rates for bad drivers + Snapshot usage-based platform|
|Cons||– Some customers complain about poor communication||– median customer satisfaction scores|
To decide which policy would be best for you, we highly recommend getting quotes from both companies. As we mentioned, each person ’ randomness agio will be different, so you may find better coverage with one insurance company than your neighbor did. Use our quotation comparison tool below to get started with free, personalized indemnity quotes.
Other Top Insurance Companies To Consider
After comparing Geico vs. Progressive, we can confidently say either would be a solid choice for your car policy coverage. however, there are a couple other providers that you might want to consider while you shop. It doesn ’ t take long to get a few quotes from competing car indemnity providers and it could save you money on your premiums. Make certain the supplier you choose besides supplies great customer service and claims processing, or you could end up frustrated in your meter of necessitate. In addition to Geico and Progressive, we recommend :
USAA: 5.0 Stars
We recently reviewed the best car insurance companies in the nation, and USAA was the alone provider that we awarded 5.0 stars. That being said, USAA car insurance is entirely available to military members and their families. If you qualify, the company tends to have low rates, batch of discounts, and the choice to add on wayside aid. additionally, USAA excels in customer gratification studies, including both J.D. Power studies discussed above. Learn more about coverage in our complete USAA car insurance recapitulation.
State Farm: 4.5 Stars
Like Progressive and Geico, we give State Farm 4.5 stars. The provider has big ratings from industry leaders and offers an extensive tilt of discounts. If you have younger drivers on your policy, you might find more competitive rates with State Farm car policy. Read more in our wax State Farm car insurance follow-up.
In an feat to provide accurate and unbiased data to consumers, our technical reappraisal team collects data from dozens of car insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, adenine well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our early insurance articles :