Before you register a fomite with at least four wheels in Florida, you must show proof of Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL) automobile indemnity. PIP covers 80 percentage of all necessity and reasonable checkup expenses up to $ 10,000 resulting from a cover wound, no matter who caused the crash. PDL coverage pays for price to another person ’ s property caused by you or person else driving your see fomite .
proof of PIP/PDL coverage must be issued by an insurance company licensed in Florida to sell policies or by qualifying for a self-insurance certificate issued by FLHSMV .
Any vehicle with a current Florida registration must :
Reading: Florida Insurance Requirements
- be insured with PIP and PDL insurance at the time of vehicle registration.
- have a minimum of $10,000 in PIP AND a minimum of $10,000 in PDL. Vehicles registered as taxis must carry bodily injury liability (BIL) coverage of $125,000 per person, $250,000 per occurrence and $50,000 for (PDL) coverage.
- have continuous coverage even if the vehicle is not being driven or is inoperable. Surrender the license plate/tag BEFORE cancelling your insurance.
- purchase the policy from an insurance carrier licensed to do business in Florida. (If you are new to the state, you may ask your agent to transfer your current insurance to a Florida policy.)
- maintain Florida insurance coverage continuously throughout the registration period regardless of the vehicle’s location. (Military members stationed out-of-state/country may be exempt. Visit our military page for more information.)
The vehicle you own must have a Florida registration and license denture and be insured with a Florida policy when a non-resident :
- accepts employment or engages in a trade, profession or occupation in Florida; or
- enrolls children to be educated in a Florida public school.
- You must obtain the registration certificate and license plate within 10 days after beginning employment or enrollment. You must also have a Florida certificate of title for your vehicle unless an out-of-state lien holder/lessor holds the title and will not release it to Florida.
Moving Out of State
Do not cancel your Florida indemnity until you have registered your vehicle ( s ) in the other country or have surrendered all valid plates/registrations to a Florida driver license office and motor vehicle service center or Tax Collector’s office. If you are keeping the policy carrier, they can change your coverage to your current state of residency when you make the registration change .
You must maintain necessitate indemnity coverage throughout the registration time period or your drive privilege and license plate may be suspended for up to three years. There are no provisions for a temp or hardship driver license for insurance-related suspensions .
Turn in your license plate at your nearest driver license office and motor vehicle service center or Tax Collector’s office BEFORE canceling your insurance to avoid suspension and reinstatement fees.
failure to maintain compulsory policy coverage in Florida may result in the suspension of your driver license/registration and a prerequisite to pay a reinstatement fee of up to $ 500.
Bodily Injury Liability ( BIL ) pays for injury or death to others .
Judgment occurs when an at-fault party is sued in a civil woo for damages caused in a drive vehicle crash and has not satisfied property price and/or bodily injury requirements .
Personal Injury Protection ( PIP ) covers you regardless of whether you are at-fault in a crash, up to the limits of your policy .
Property Damage Liability ( PDL ) pays for the damage to other people ’ sulfur place .
Security Deposit is an come of monies posted in stead of obtaining a dismissal in an at-fault crash.
Read more: Best car insurance companies for 2022
SR22 an insurance file certifying bodily injury indebtedness ( BIL ) and property damage liability ( PDL ) to comply with the reinstatement requirements of the Florida Financial Responsibility Law
section 324.171, Florida Statutes outlines the fiscal requirements for the department to issue a security to qualify individuals or other specify entities as a self-insurer .
Visit our self-insurance section to read more .