- The most expensive state for car insurance is Florida, where the average annual cost of car indemnity is $ 2,914
- The least expensive is North Carolina, with an average annual bounty of $ 1,009
- small sedans are the most expensive cars to insure, with an annual cost of $ 1,342, while small SUVs monetary value the least to insure, averaging at $ 1,087 a year
How much does car insurance cost in each state?
car policy rates vary wide by submit ( along with your old age and your driving history, your ZIP code is one of the most authoritative factors in determining how a lot you ’ ll pay ) . There are a few reasons why location matters then much when it comes to car indemnity rates — if your area is densely populated, crime rates are high, or natural disasters are patronize, that means more claims, which means higher rates. so where does car insurance cost the most—and least ? Below is a breakdown of the average annual price of car policy by department of state, according to our analysis .
The most expensive states for car insurance
Florida, Louisiana, Michigan, New Jersey, and New York are the states with the most expensive average cable car policy rates . precisely because you live in one of the most expensive states for car policy doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate mean you ’ ll automatically have to pay super high rates — comparing quotes from multiple insurance companies through Policygenius can help you choose the coverage that ’ s best for your budget .
The cheapest states for car indemnity
North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin, Idaho, and Vermont are the states with the cheapest median car policy rates, according to our analysis . The cheapest states for car policy typically have lower minimal coverage requirements, meaning you can save by opting out of certain types of coverage. Idaho, for example, doesn ’ thymine mandate personal injury auspices ( PIP ), which is required in no-fault states and covers your injuries after an accident, or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which covers damage caused by a driver without indemnity. quick to shop car insurance ? Start calculator
average car indemnity costs by company
While car indemnity companies use many of the same factors to set your rate — including your localization, age, and driving history — not every party evaluates these factors the lapp way. That ’ mho why average rates can vary by thousands of dollars per year from one car policy company to another. Based on an analysis of the largest car indemnity companies in the nation, Policygenius found that the average price of full-coverage car insurance varies by arsenic much as $ 1,586 per year ( or $ 132 per month ). In our analysis, USAA has the cheapest average car insurance rates among other companies. however, since USAA is only an choice for people in the military, GEICO more often has the most low-cost median car indemnity rates for most people. Smaller insurers, like Erie Insurance, or tied local companies, may have cheap rates, besides .
average monetary value of car indemnity by coverage type
|coverage type||annual cost|
The specific kinds of car policy coverage that make up your policy will besides help determine the price of your monthly premiums. A alleged wide coverage car indemnity policy includes comprehensive and collision coverage in accession to liability. Liability coverage, which is the backbone of a policy, covers the costs if you injure person or damage their property with your car, while collision coverage covers price to your own cable car after an accident, even if you caused it, and comprehensive coverage covers damage not from car accidents, like if a heavy tree arm falls on your cable car. → Learn more about the different types of car insurance coverage
average car indemnity costs by historic period
Along with your localization and driving history, age is one of the most crucial factors when it comes to car policy rates. Drivers under 25 tend to pay much more for coverage because of their long time and inexperience behind the steering wheel. cable car indemnity costs typically go down when you turn 25. Before that, the average price of cable car insurance can be thousands of dollars more expensive than what adult drivers pay. A 16-year-old driver pays $ 4,850 more per year ( $ 404 per month ) for car coverage than person who ’ s 25 — an increase of 251 % .
→ Read more about getting bum coverage as a young driver
average car insurance rates by sex
sex can besides have a modest impression on your car insurance rates. On average, male drivers pay precisely $ 18 more per class than female drivers for coverage. And after age 25, the price is closely equal for male and female drivers .
|sex||annual monetary value|
A handful of states prohibit insurers from setting rates according to sex, including :
- North Carolina
- university of pennsylvania
→ Read more about how your sex can affect your average car indemnity monetary value
average costs by driving violation
|misdemeanor||average annual cost|
|Hit and run||$3,182|
|Driving with a suspended license||$3,117|
|Driving with an open container||$2,485|
|Failure to stop at a red light||$2,122|
|Driving with expired registration||$2,068|
Your driving history is another major gene in determining your car policy rates — more accidents or violations on your record means you ’ ll pay more for coverage. But not every ding on your drive record will cost the same, more good violations typically lead to higher rate increases .
average costs by credit score
|credit score||average annual monetary value|
A lower accredit score much means higher rates, and vice versa. But in some states, car insurance companies aren ’ t allowed to use your credit score to calculate your rates, then if you live in California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oregon or Utah, your credit rating score won ’ t count when it comes to car policy. → Learn more about how credit scores affect car policy rates
What extra factors affect my cable car insurance rate ?
There are evening more factors that can affect your cable car indemnity rates besides placement, coverage levels, old age, sex, car type, driving history, and credit score. The monetary value of car indemnity can besides be influenced by :
- The company you choose : tied if you live in a express where rates are higher than average, some companies offer more competitive rates than others, which is why it ’ mho crucial to shop around .
- Discounts : Some of the most coarse car indemnity discounts include savings for bundling policies, completing a drive safety course, and paying your annual policy in full .
- insurance history : You may pay more for car policy if you ‘ve had past coverage with a bad supplier or if you have a relapse in coverage on your record. If you have a history of reproducible coverage and on-time payments, on the other hand, you could see lower rates .
- Your annual mileage : If you use your car much, your car policy will cost more than for person who drives infrequently .
- Your job and education : In some states it ‘s illegal for insurers to use your occupation and education to set rates. however, in many places you could pay more for car insurance if you ‘re unemployed or if you did n’t graduate from college .
How to save money on cable car policy
From the consequence you start shopping about for car indemnity, there are a number of ways you can save. even if you already have an existing car indemnity policy, there are still some steps you can take to lower your premiums .
- Bundle your home plate and car policy : Combining multiple policies ( like your family and car indemnity ) with the same ship’s company can earn you dangerous savings
- Take advantage of car insurance discounts : check with an agent to make certain you ’ ra getting every discount you can, including discounts for having certain safety features in your car, or for taking a defensive drive course
- Change your coverage limits : not every driver needs the highest level of every coverage. We recommend liability levels of $ 100,000 per person, $ 300,000 per accident in bodily injury liability and $ 100,000 per accident in property damage liability, typically written as 100/300/100 on your insurance policy
- Raise your deductible sum : A higher comprehensive or collision deductible ( meaning the measure you have to pay out of pocket per claim ) means lower premiums — just remember you may actually have to pay that measure when you file a claim
- Shop approximately once a class : even if you ’ re felicitous with your coverage, shopping for car indemnity annually with Policygenius can help you save adult and make sure you ’ re not paying excessively much for coverage
→ Learn more about how to lower car indemnity rates
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is car insurance per month?
Policygenius has found that the modal price of car indemnity is $ 137 per month for a full-coverage policy. A minimum coverage policy is a lot cheaper at $ 52 per calendar month, but this type of policy could leave drivers unprotected and force them to pay out of pocket for exposed losses .
How much is insurance for a $1,000 car?
Drivers with cheaper cars typically pay less for coverage. You should hush have relatively high liability limits, even if your car is a clunker, because you could well cause thousands of dollars worth of price in an accident. But if your car is worth less than a typical comprehensive or collision deductible and you would be all right paying out of pouch to replace it if it were stolen, you can limit your coverage to liability-only, and save by not paying for comprehensive examination and collision .
How much is car insurance for a beginner?
car policy rates are frequently based on your age, but sometimes they ’ re actually based on your years of driving experience. That means that a newly licensed 40-year-old would pay american samoa much as a newly-licensed-16-year-old ( which is a bunch ). The good news is that inexperienced drivers will see their rates drop over time, vitamin a long as they maintain a clean drive record .
Do both owners of a car need insurance?
Every member of your family should be listed on your car policy policy unless they ’ re specifically excluded from your coverage. That means that if you and your spouse share ownership of the lapp car, you both need to be listed on the policy — differently you risk not being covered in an accident .
Policygenius has analyzed car indemnity rates provided by Quadrant Information Services for every ZIP code in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C. For full coverage policies, the comply coverage limits were used :
- Bodily injury liability : 50/100
- property wrong liability : $ 50,000
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist : 50/100
- comprehensive examination : $ 500 deductible
- collision : $ 500 deductible
In some cases, extra coverages were added where required by state of matter or insurance company.
Rates for overall average rate, rates by ZIP code, and cheapest companies determined using averages for single drivers ages 30, 35, and 45. Our sample vehicle was a 2017 Toyota Camry LE drive 10,000 miles/year. Rates for driving violations and “ Poor ” credit determined using average rates for a single male 30-year-old driver with a citation score under 578. Some carriers may be represented by affiliates or subsidiaries. Rates provided are a sample of costs. Your actual quotes may differ .