Vehicle indebtedness insurance has two components always included together : Bodily Injury coverage and Property Damage coverage .
Vehicle liability policy is the basic indemnity coverage that covers injuries or damage to early people or property if you ‘re at fault for an accident .
Are you looking for General Liability Insurance?
General Liability indemnity is coverage that protects you against fiscal liabilities resulting from accidents such as spilling paint on person ‘s carpet or person slipping on your floor.
Reading: Liability Insurance
If you cause an accident that injures or even kills another person, the Bodily Injury ( BI ) fortune of your Liability policy will pay for the relate expenses. Bodily Injury ( BI ) will cover hospital and aesculapian bills, rehabilitation, long-run nursing care, funeral expenses, lost earnings, trouble and suffering, and other expenses, up to the limits you select .
If you cause an accident that damages another person ‘s property, the Property Damage ( PD ) dowry of your Liability insurance will pay for the relate expenses. property damage ( PD ) will cover the expense to repair or replace damaged items, including other vehicles, lamp posts, houses or flush a favored, up to the limits you select .
Liability indemnity besides will pay for your legal defense costs if you are sued as a leave of your affair with the accident .
Who needs liability insurance?
Anyone who drives a vehicle needs Liability indemnity. In most situations, Liability policy is required by police .
For-hire truckers operating under their own authority must have Liability indemnity in arrange to obtain a charge .
Liability insurance limits and other details
Liability policy requires you to select limits. These limits determine the maximum sum your policy company will pay if you need to use the insurance coverage. Limits are described either as separate limits or as a combine single limit .
Need vehicle liability limits above $1 million?
In sealed states, we offer liability limits up to $ 2 million to satisfy the contractual requirements of some employers .
Split limits are three numbers that describe the follow :
- Maximum Bodily Injury payment per person
- Maximum Bodily Injury payment for all people in the entire accident
- Maximum total Property Damage payment for all property in the accident
For case, if you choose split limits of $ 15,000/ $ 30,000/ $ 10,000 :
- $15,000 would be the most your insurance would pay each person injured in an accident.
- $30,000 would be the most your insurance would pay for all people injured in the accident.
- $10,000 would be the most your insurance would pay for all property damaged in a single accident.
With a combined single restrict, or CSL, only one number is used to describe the limits for both Bodily Injury insurance and Property Damage insurance. In this case, there is no particular limit per person, equitable a grand full maximum that will be paid for all injuries and property damage that you cause that resultant role from a single accident .
For example, if you selected a combine individual limit of $ 1 million, your insurance company would pay up to $ 1 million for all medical and injury-related bills and all property damage expenses that you caused in an accident .
Liability insurance example:
You ca n’t stop your vanguard in time, and rear-end the cable car in front of you .
The other car ‘s bumper is damaged, and the other driver has a sprained wrist .
You have a combined single limit of $ 300,000 for your Liability indemnity .
The Bodily Injury component of your Liability insurance would pay the other driver ‘s $ 1,500 medical poster wrist X-rays .
The Property Damage part of your Liability policy would pay the $ 1,000 bill to replace the other car ‘s bumper.
Since you chose a blend single restrict ( CSL ) of $ 300,000, your entire Liability expenses of $ 2,500 are completely covered by your indemnity .
Liability insurance exceptions and restrictions
Your place price policy limits can not exceed your Bodily Injury policy per person limits if you choose a rent limit .
- If one vehicle on the policy has Liability insurance, all of the vehicles must have it.
- The selected Liability limits must be the same for all vehicles on a policy.
- Each state sets laws regarding how much Liability insurance its residents are required to have. This is known as your state’s minimum limits or minimum limit requirements.
fortunately, Progressive knows the requirements for each state and will make certain you have at least the minimal amount of Liability insurance required to meet your state ‘s laws .
- Liability insurance is required when a filing is on a commercial auto insurance policy.
- Minimum Liability limits of $25,000/$50,000 or a $50,000 combined single limit is required if the radius of operation is 300 miles or more.
- Extra trailers are charged a flat fee for Liability insurance.
Category : car insurance questions