In this article:
Cheapest Car Insurance In New York
According to our rate estimates for car policy in New York, Progressive offers the cheapest full coverage rates for good drivers at $ 1,310 per year on average. USAA and Geico besides offer low-cost rates compared to the rival.
|Car Insurance Provider||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
What Is The Average Cost Of Car Insurance In New York?
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners ( NAIC ), the average annual indemnity pace in New York was $ 1,425 in 2018, which made it 35 percentage more expensive than the home average. Experts say car insurance in New York is expensive because the state has a high population density and relatively high medial income. here ’ s a breakdown of average car policy coverage costs for New York car policy that year :
|Type of Coverage||Average Expenditures in 2018|
*Most drivers carry liability coverage but not inevitably early types of car insurance. sum average annual expending measures what New York drivers actually spent on car insurance in 2018. These rates are even higher in New York City, which is the most populate city in the state. As a consequence, NYC car policy rates are besides some of the highest among cities across the state. In dense areas like New York City and Long Island drivers can pay ampere much as $ 4,000 or more for policy per year.
Annual New York Car Insurance Estimates By Age
According to our rate estimates, a 24-year-old may pay 35 percentage more for full coverage in New York than a 35-year-old.
|Age||New York Annual Car Insurance|
Annual New York Car Insurance Estimates By Gender
In New York, women pay about two percentage more for car policy than men. This deviation is smaller than what ‘s found in many other states.
|Gender||New York Annual Car Insurance|
Annual New York Car Insurance Estimates For Drivers With Bad Credit
Your credit score can very impact your rates for car policy in New York. According to our estimates, having a average score can increase your rates by 28 percentage, while a inadequate score can increase your rates by a humongous 129 percentage.
|Credit Rating||New York Annual Car Insurance|
Annual New York Car Insurance Estimates For Bad Drivers
When it comes to car indemnity in New York, it pays to have a clean commemorate. Our estimates show that having either a accelerate ticket or an accident on your record can raise your rates by about 30 percentage. And if you have a DUI on your record, you may pay 62 percentage more.
|Driving Record||New York Annual Car Insurance|
Factors That Affect New York Car Insurance Quotes
When you ’ re denounce for cheap New York car insurance quotes, your rates probably won ’ metric ton be the same as your friends or family members. That ’ south because the amount you pay for car indemnity depends on many factors.
- Your age, gender, marital status, and other demographic factors
- Your driving record
- Vehicle’s year, make, and model
- Your credit score/insurance score
- Your location
- Annual mileage
5 Best New York Car Insurance Companies
With over 50 choices for your New York car policy, it ’ randomness hard to know which company will provide you with the best coverage and brassy car indemnity rates. however, we recently researched many of the best car insurance companies across the nation. Let ‘s take a closer expression at our acme five picks. *You may notice that some cable car indemnity companies are listed above those with higher star topology ratings. This is because our ratings take into account countrywide factors, while our ranking for this article looks specifically at what policy providers are best for cable car indemnity in New York.
#1 Progressive Car Insurance
progressive is our top pick for cable car indemnity in New York for its first gear prices and kind of coverage options. The company is besides known for providing low-cost insurance for bad drivers. Getting a quote could be worth considering if you :
- Want large or small accident forgiveness
- Want access to insurance tools that could help you save money
- Have a history of high-risk driving behavior
here are some of the coverage perks available with progressive :
- Small accident forgiveness: Forgives claims that cost less than $500 for customers who’ve been with the company for over five years and claim-free for at least three
- Large accident forgiveness: Forgives accidents without a maximum cost limit
- Name Your Price® tool: Matches you with Progressive policies that fit your budget
- Snapshot® program: Operates through an app on your phone to monitor safe driving habits
- Deductible savings bank: $50 off your collision and comprehensive deductible for every claim-free period
Read more about the supplier in our in-depth Progressive policy review.
|One of the top auto insurers in the United States||Average claims process|
|Superior financial strength rating and A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB)||Mixed customer service reviews|
|Great choice for high-risk drivers||Higher rates than some competitors|
|Several money-saving features and easy quotes process|
#2 Geico Car Insurance
Geico ’ s well-known motto – “ 15 minutes could save you 15 percentage or more on car insurance ” – can prove genuine for New York drivers. In our research, we found that Geico car insurance rates are some of the lowest in the department of state. In accession to saving drivers money, Geico provides 24/7 customer service through its smartphone app and web site. This can be big for drivers in the Empire State who find themselves needing to file a claim or access their coverage on late nights or weekends. In terms of coverage, Geico offers standard types of cable car indemnity such as :
- Bodily injury and property damage liability
- Collision and comprehensive car insurance
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist protection
- Medical payments and personal injury protection
- Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) insurance
- Rideshare insurance
Geico indemnity policies come with benefits including hand brake road services and rental cable car reimbursement. The company is besides the leading insurance provider for mechanical dislocation indemnity ( MBI ). This type of coverage is not an policy policy. It ‘s closer to a basic cable car guarantee that protects full of life cable car parts in the consequence of a mechanical breakdown. Geico besides has a assortment of discounts that could help the comply drivers save money on the cost of Geico car insurance :
- Federal employees and members of select professional and alumni organizations
- Active-duty military and veterans
- Safe drivers and drivers of safe vehicles
- Homeowners with Geico home insurance
- And more
Geico has high ratings across the dining table from professional agencies. It maintains an A+ evaluation from the BBB and an A++ rat in fiscal potency from AM Best.
|Superior financial strength rating and A+ rating from the BBB||Average quotes experience|
|Many choices for coverage||Usage-based app not available in New York|
|High level of customer satisfaction|
|Available in 50 states|
To learn more about the car policy supplier, check out our Geico review.
#3 USAA Insurance
USAA provides low-cost car policy in New York, and it can be a effective idea to get a quotation mark if you qualify. USAA is available to military members, veterans, and military family members. With USAA, you can get extra options like :
Read more: The Best Car Insurance Companies for 2022
- Rideshare insurance: For drivers of Uber or Lyft
- Classic car insurance (through American Collectors): Best for drivers of classic, antique, exotic, and custom vehicles
- Gap insurance: Covers the difference between your loan and your car’s value in the event of a total loss
USAA frequently performs well on diligence surveys by J.D. Power. It scored high marks on the following studies :
- 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM
- 2021 U.S. Insurance Shopping StudySM
- 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM
overall, the huge majority of customers have positive experiences with USAA whether they are shopping for coverage, interacting with an agent, or filing a claim. USAA besides has an ampere fink from the BBB and an A++ fiscal forte rat from AM Best. To learn more about Allstate, read our complete USAA indemnity review and check out some pros and cons of the supplier below :
|Wide range of coverage options available||Restricted eligibility|
|Superior financial strength rating and A rating from the BBB||Usage-based option not available in New York|
|Affordable coverage on average|
#4 Travelers Car Insurance
Travelers may not be a well known as the early names on this number, but the company is a big actor in the car insurance industry. Like its competition, it has an A+ denounce from the BBB and an A++ rate from AM Best. J.D. Power reports first gear overall customer satisfaction with Travelers in regions like the middle atlantic and Florida, but New York customers in the lapp study gave the provider a rat of 4.0 out of 5.0 – so it would seem that localization is an important factor when going with this company. Along with basic coverage, you can receive the following through Travelers :
- Roadside assistance
- Rental car reimbursement
- Gap insurance
- New car replacement
- Accident forgiveness
Quotes are available on-line and by phone, but Travelers chiefly works through independent agents. That can be a perk up for drivers who want to form a personal joining with one agent.
|Superior financial strength rating and A+ rating from the BBB||Expensive coverage for some drivers|
|Available in 43 states||Mixed customer service reviews|
|Long new car replacement coverage and new driver discounts|
|Fairly easy quote process|
To learn more about the car indemnity supplier, check out our follow-up of Travelers car insurance.
#5 State Farm Car Insurance
department of state farm has been around since 1922. today, the provider is a national drawing card for car and other indemnity needs, and its reputation speak for itself. For car policy coverage, State Farm offers all basic types of coverage, plus rideshare policy in most states. Although State Farm ’ second rates might not be a low as Progressive ‘s, the caller has a wide variety show of discounts available to customers and great perks. A well-designed mobile app provides 24/7 access to your policy. state farm has an A+ BBB rating and an A++ rating in fiscal strength from AM Best.
|Largest auto insurer in the country, available in 48 states||Reported errors with autopay|
|Many discounts for teens and students||Higher rates than some competitors|
|Positive customer reviews|
|Easy online quotes process|
|Superior financial strength rating|
To learn more about the car insurance provider, check out our State Farm indemnity recapitulation. To see how your specific location in New York will compare to the state average, use the joyride below.
What Are New York’s Car Insurance Requirements?
New York and a handful of other states follow a no-fault system for car accidents. basically, this means that your insurance ship’s company covers your damages in the case of an car accident, regardless of who is at fault. There are some exceptions in cases of serious injury, but for the most depart, each driver ’ sulfur policy pays for their injuries and damages. Because of the no-fault system and other state laws in New York, drivers must carry the be car policy :
|Insurance Type||Required Coverage Amount|
|Bodily Injury Liability||$25,000/person and $50,000/accident|
|Wrongful Death Coverage||$50,000/person and $100,000/accident|
|Property Damage Liability||$10,000/accident|
|Personal Injury Protection||$50,000/accident|
|Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury||$25,000/person and $50,000/accident|
|Uninsured Motorist Property Damage||Optional|
|Collision and Comprehensive||Optional|
What If I Can’t Afford The New York Minimum Insurance?
car policy is required for all drivers in New York. If you ’ rhenium catch driving without validation of indemnity, you could face good penalties like :
- Fines ranging from $150 to $1,500
- Vehicle impoundment
- Up to 15 days in jail
- Revoked license and registration
- $750 fee to get your license and registration reinstated
In addition, if your car is uninsured for more than 91 days, or if you are caught without insurance more than once in three years, your license and registration could be revoked without the option to pay to get them back. alternatively, you would have to wait until the suspension period is over to get your license and registration back from the Department of Motor Vehicles ( DMV ).
What To Know About Driving In New York
Although population plays a major function in car insurance rates, here are some early things that affect prices :
- Time in congested traffic: New York drivers may only average 11,871 miles on the road per year, but they spend an average of 92 hours in traffic per year. In fact, New Yorkers have the fourth-longest commute times in the country based on duration in hours.
- High accident rates: New York City drivers are 20 percent more likely to end up in an auto accident than the national average.
- Weather conditions: New York’s climate and average weather conditions play a major part in road conditions and, therefore, impact car insurance rates. It rains and snows often in New York, with an average of 121 days of precipitation per year, according to United States Climate Data.
- Road conditions: According to a study by TRIP, 46 percent of major locally and state-maintained roads in the New York/Newark/Jersey City area are in poor condition, and another 23 percent are in mediocre condition. These roads can cost drivers extra vehicle operating costs and higher insurance rates.
Non-Insured Motorist Penalties In New York
Due to New York ’ s no-fault laws, it ’ south illegal for New York residents to drive without indemnity or even have person else operate their vehicle without policy. Penalties for driving without New York car insurance include :
- Revocation of your driver’s license and vehicle registration for at least one year
- A $750 civil penalty that must be paid to the DMV
- Traffic court fines of as much as $1,500
Final Thoughts On New York Car Insurance
Although the Empire State has some of the highest indemnity rates in the country, safe drivers who are bequeath to shop around can obtain quotes that will help them get cheap car indemnity in New York. We found that Progressive, USAA, and Geico are some of the cheapest options in the state of matter. accede your zip up code in our tool below to start comparing car insurance quotes.
FAQ: Car Insurance In New York
What is the average price of car insurance in New York ? Per the NAIC, the average car policy policy outgo in New York was $ 1,425 in 2018, much higher than the home average of $ 1,056. The Insurance Information Institute ( III ) ranks New York as one of the most expensive states for car indemnity. Who has the lowest car indemnity in New York ? rate estimates our guarantee experts obtained show that Progressive has some of the cheapest car indemnity rates in the state at an average of $ 1,310 per year. In terms of average rates, Progressive came in at about $ 1,000 less than early providers like Geico and USAA. How much is car indemnity in New York per calendar month ? The average cost of policy in New York is $ 1425, according to the NAIC. That ‘s about $ 119 per calendar month. How much is car policy in New York for modern drivers ?
Younger drivers or people without driving experience tend to pay more for policy coverage regardless of location. Our estimates found that 24-year-old drivers in New York pay around $ 5,007 per class.
In an effort to provide accurate and indifferent data to consumers, our adept review team collects data from dozens of car policy providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the follow categories, deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles :