Does Your Credit Card Cover Rental Car Insurance? Here’s How to Find Out
Find out if your credit card provides insurance that allows you to waive the coverage offered by the rental car agency.
A simple money-saving scheme can help you get more spang for your sawhorse the future time you rent a car. By using the mighty recognition wag, you can safely decline the optional coverage offered by the rental car agency and save anywhere from $ 9 to $ 45 per day.
Keep reading to learn more about what accredit tease rental car policy covers and how to make certain you ‘re eligible .
What does credit card rental car insurance cover?
The most common type of optional policy offered at the rental cable car counter is the collision damage release ( CDW ), besides known as a loss price release. You can purchase CDW coverage from the rental car agency for virtually any kind of rental vehicle. It ‘s designed to lower your costs and hassle in the event the car is involved in an accident, damaged, or stolen. CDW coverage only applies to the vehicle. It does n’t extend to expenses related to anyone else ‘s property wrong or any injury. For those expenses, the rental car agency might offer to sell you other addition coverage, including :
- Liability (to cover expenses related to hurting someone or damaging their property)
- Personal accident (to cover your expenses if you are hurt)
- Personal effects (to cover your belongings if they are damaged or lost)
Credit circuit board rental car insurance rarely offers these other types of coverage. Most often, these coverages are specifically excluded in your credit menu ‘s terms and conditions. however, if you have car indemnity for your personal vehicle, you might already have these coverages when you rent a car .
Secondary versus primary coverage
Your accredit poster issuer will offer CDW coverage as either basal or secondary coil coverage. If it is primary, you do n’t need to do anything particular before making a claim. besides, you wo n’t have to pay a deductible.
If the coverage is secondary, it will alone apply to expenses not covered after you file a claim with your chief insurance company. You ‘ll have to file two claims — one with your chief insurance company and one with the credit calling card company ‘s partner insurance company. If you have to pay a deductible, your credit calling card ‘s collision damage waiver might reimburse you .
How to find out if your credit card offers rental car insurance
The best way to find out about your credit batting order ‘s rental car insurance benefits is to log in to your report on-line and expect for a “ Benefits ” connection on the menu. You can besides call the number on the back of your card to ask. Credit card benefits change now and then. indeed before you rely on your credit tease for coverage, be certain to confirm that the profit is inactive being offered. many of the best credit cards offer car rental policy. These are just a few issuers that provide this coverage :
- Chase Freedom Flex℠: The primary cardholder is eligible for coverage, as is any authorized user whose name is embossed on the card. In your country of residence, this CDW coverage is secondary, but you will be reimbursed for your primary car insurance deductible if you have one. The collision damage waiver is available for rental periods up to 31 days and covers damages to the rental car, up to its actual cash value, caused by theft or collision. Also covered are related expenses like towing and loss of use.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®: Coverage is similar to the Chase Freedom Flex. For more information, check out our guide to Chase Freedom Rental Car Insurance.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card: Coverage is similar to the Chase cards above, but with this credit card, the collision damage waiver is primary.
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express: Loss and damage insurance is offered to the card member, their spouse or domestic partner, and authorized drivers on the rental*. Coverage is secondary to your own car insurance policy if you have one, and applies to rental periods of up to 30 days. The benefit limit is $50,000 per rental agreement. Terms apply.
Three things to remember before you rent
- How to get credit card rental car insurance. To be eligible for the free CDW coverage, you’ll need to reserve and pay for the car rental with the credit card that offers the coverage.
- Credit card coverage is limited. The free collision damage waiver or loss damage waiver offered by your credit card likely won’t cover antique cars, recreational vehicles, large passenger vans, limos, trucks, or any kind of motorcycle or moped.
- Your car insurance may cover you. If you have an auto insurance policy, you might be covered in a rental car at the same level that you are covered in your personal vehicle. Some policies include free collision damage waiver coverage. Check with your insurer to find out what you have and what the limitations might be.
You might already look for lease car specials and deals, or possibly you strategize the points and miles you earn with your citation cards. Either way, add rental car coverage to your travel hacking arsenal. It ‘s a valuable credit card benefit that can save you money while providing a layer of fiscal protection. last, check out our guide if you ‘re wondering “ Do I need rental car insurance ? ”
Top credit card wipes out interest into 2023
If you have credit card debt, transferring it to this top balance transfer card secures you a 0 % presentation APR into 2023 ! Plus, you ’ ll give no annual tip. Those are good a few reasons why our experts rate this card as a top nibble to help get command of your debt. Read The Ascent’s full review for exempt and apply in just 2 minutes .
Category : car insurance questions