Consumer Help | Nebraska Department of Insurance

The Consumer Affairs Division provides the public with policy information and aid, and investigates consumer complaints .

Before filing a complaint:

Important: If you did not live in Nebraska when you purchased the policy, please contact the state in which you lived at the clock of purchase .
View a map of Insurance Departments

  • Contact your insurance company and request an explanation. 
  • Make sure you have provided all information requested by the company. 
  • If you are concerned about the handling of a health insurance claim, ask what appeal and external review procedures are available to you. (Appealing a Health Plan Decision)

If you are not satisfied with the company ’ mho response to your concerns, you may consider filing a complaint. Be prepared to clearly summarize your complaint, indeed people who are not familiar with your issue will be able to understand.

What the Nebraska Department of Insurance cannot do:

  • Order the company to pay your claim or refund premium 
  • Decide who was at fault in an accident
  • Act as a court of law or provide legal advice 
  • Recommend an agent, company, or products
  • Identify an insurance company with whom a particular person may hold a policy
  • Establish the facts surrounding a claim (for example: who is being truthful when there are conflicting reports of a situation)
  • Determine the cause of loss, value of a claim, the amount owed to you, or act as your adjuster
  • Address issues the Department can’t legally enforce

How filing a complaint with the Nebraska Department of insurance can help:

  • A complaint provides a fresh objective evaluation by individuals with insurance expertise and usually prompts a new review at the insurance entity
  • The process allows an opportunity to provide additional understanding and documentation if it was missing
  • Complaints allow the Department of Insurance to evaluate whether an insurance company has complied with Nebraska law

For assistance with other entities not regulated by the Department, please refer to the following list of resources:

File an on-line complaint :

File a Complaint online
I have read and accept the terms and conditions stated above
on-line complaint form forma de queja en linea
Please read our Filing An insurance Complaint booklet for extra information .
After you file a complaint:

  • Once received, your complaint will be assigned to a Consumer Affairs Investigator who will send you an acknowledgment letter with a case tracking ID number.  Please reference this tracking ID number for all case inquiries with the Consumer Affairs Division. 
  • We will send a copy of your complaint to the company and/or agent and request a detailed explanation. 
  • Companies and agents are allowed 15 business days to respond to the Department’s request for information. Some investigations may take longer depending on complexity.
  • After reviewing the company/agent response, the investigator will advise you of the case outcome.

Pre-Need Complaint Questionnaire
Use this form if your complaint concerns the manage of a pre-need reliance. A pre-need trust is the buying of burying or funeral trade ( casket, vault, repository, etc. ) or services prior to the meter of death .

Contact Consumer Affairs:
call : 877-564-7323 ( toll-free in Nebraska ) or 402-471-0888 Fax:402-471-4610
Email Address : DOI.ConsumerAffairs @
Mailing address :

Nebraska Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 95087
Lincoln, NE 68509-5087

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *