Best for cheap rates: GEICO
4.4 Policygenius rat How we score : Policygenius ’ ratings are determined by our editorial team. Our methodology takes multiple factors into account, including pricing, fiscal ratings, quality of customer service, and other product-specific features . One of the most recognizable car policy carriers on the market is besides a dependable go-to for standard car policy. Pros
- available nationally
- Easy-to-use web site and mobile app
- enough of discounts
- Comprehensive customer military service
- Wide array of other coverages, including rideshare policy and collector ’ south policy
- average claims gratification
- Middling customer ratings
- Doesn ’ t cover all their early indemnity products
Read our wide GEICO review Get quotes
Why GEICO is the best car indemnity for bum rates
Our analysis found that a wax coverage policy with GEICO is 35 % cheaper than average. In fact, GEICO ‘s low rates could save some drivers an average of $ 622 per class on coverage. GEICO ‘s retentive list of discounts besides helps make it the best car policy company for bum rates, specially since many of these savings are easy for most people to get. Some of GEICO ’ s discounts include savings for taking a defensive drive course, owning a brand-new cable car, and insuring multiple vehicles on the lapp policy .
All 50 states and the District of Columbia
Best for customer overhaul : Amica
4.2 Policygenius fink How we score : Policygenius ’ ratings are determined by our editorial team. Our methodology takes multiple factors into explanation, including pricing, fiscal ratings, quality of customer service, and other product-specific features . Amica, while expensive, is a great option for shoppers interest in top-of-the-line serve. Pros
- Top-rated customer service and claims satisfaction
- premium coverage available
- variety of alone perks and features
- Quick answer times from agents
- Pricier than competitors
- Can be finical when it comes to customers
- not available in Hawaii
Read our full Amica review Get quotes
Why Amica is the best car insurance for customer service
If customer military service is your crown precedence, Amica may be the best caller for you. In 2021, J.D. Power ranked Amica fourth in the nation for claims gratification, and it ’ s systematically scored well for customer happiness. Amica is n’t barely the best car insurance company for customer service, it ‘s besides 4 % cheaper than industry average. however, drivers with an accident or ticket on their record will see significantly higher rates compared to drivers with immaculate records .
available in every country and the District of Columbia, with the exception of Hawaii .
Best for adolescent drivers : State farm
4 Policygenius rat How we score : Policygenius ’ ratings are determined by our column team. Our methodology takes multiple factors into report, including price, fiscal ratings, quality of customer service, and other product-specific features . With above-average claims satisfaction, a range of discounts, and big options for adolescent drivers, it makes sense that State Farm is the largest car insurance company in the U.S. Pros
- available countrywide
- platform to help young drivers save money
- Above-average claims satisfaction ratings
- No specialization coverage options
- Pricier than similar competitors
Read our full State Farm review Get quotes
Why State Farm is the best car insurance for teenage drivers
typically, adolescent drivers pay much more for car insurance than drivers with more know behind the wheel. A 16-year-old pays an average of 255 % more for insurance than the typical adult — but our analysis found that State Farm is a much cheaper option for young drivers. In fact, State Farm charges adolescent drivers who have their own policy closely $ 2,000 less for coverage than industry average for the lapp age group. submit Farm besides offers ways to offset the cost of adding a adolescent driver to an car insurance policy, like its Steer Clear program for drivers under 25, which tracks driving behavior through an app that besides includes informational quizzes and videos .
All 50 states and the District of Columbia .
Best for coverage options : Safeco
3.6 Policygenius rat How we score : Policygenius ’ ratings are determined by our column team. Our methodology takes multiple factors into bill, including price, fiscal ratings, choice of customer military service, and other product-specific features . Safeco offers four singular policy tiers so you can find the demand degree of coverage that ’ s proper for you. just keep in judgment it doesn ’ t have the best customer service ratings. Pros
- Offers equipment breakdown coverage to replace collapse appliances for merely $ 2 a month
- File claims on-line or over the telephone
- Get place damage claims estimates through video chat
- Rates are 35 % higher than the national average — approximately $ 1,683 per year
- Less-than-stellar customer service ratings
- No unique discounts for green or tech-savvy homes
Read our full Safeco review Get quotes
Why Safeco is the best car insurance for coverage options
Safeco is the best car indemnity company for people who want to get the most out of their car coverage. Besides offering a wax range of standard coverage options, Safeco besides offers some supernumerary forms of coverage and perks that you might not find at early cable car indemnity companies, including :
- Diminishing deductible : For every class of safe drive, your deductible will drop by $ 100, up to $ 500 total .
- New car replacement : Pays to replace your car with a brand-new model if your vehicle is less than one year old when it ‘s totaled .
- lease car reimbursement : Pays for the monetary value of a rental car if yours is in the workshop after a cover accident .
- wayside aid : Covers the cost of aid or towing if you ’ re stranded on the side of the road because of a flat tire, dead battery, empty gas tank, an accidental lockout, and more .
- original parts surrogate : Pays to replace your car ‘s damaged parts with high-quality manufacturer parts, or comparable parts if the originals are n’t available .
All 50 states and the District of Columbia
Best for military families : USAA
4.3 Policygenius rate How we score : Policygenius ’ ratings are determined by our editorial team. Our methodology takes multiple factors into score, including price, fiscal ratings, timbre of customer service, and other product-specific features . USAA is a solid choice for military families looking for both homeowners insurance and a raw home security system — its partnership with ADT means you ’ ll save on both. But watch out for higher-than-average premiums. Pros
- score discounts for zero claims, being a patriotic USAA penis, opting into e-billing, and more
- Offers earthquake coverage — which is hard to come by
- Get discounted home security systems and a discount rate on premiums through its partnership with ADT
- Rates are 69 % higher than the national modal — roughly $ 2,112 per year
- Doesn ’ triiodothyronine put up extended or guaranteed replacement cost brood coverage
- only available to military families
Read our full USAA revue Get quotes
Why USAA is the best car policy for military families
Unlike other policy companies, USAA is entirely available to active and retire members of the military and their families. But if you ‘re eligible for coverage, you could get the best rates around. Our analysis found that a broad coverage policy with USAA is 37 % cheaper than average, meaning big savings. In addition to low rates, USAA is besides known for leading customer service and senior high school claims gratification. In fact J.D. Power ranked it inaugural in its 2021 sketch of overall customer claims satisfaction .
All 50 states and the District of Columbia .
Best smaller car insurance party : erie
A regional carrier with standout claims satisfaction ratings, Erie ’ s main drawback is that it ’ sulfur just not available in many states. Pros
- Standout customer service
- agio coverage options
- Well-designed, streamlined web site
- Accident forgiveness is offered as a commitment fringe benefit
- not available in most states
- May drop you if you have multiple accidents or moving violations
- No Erie mobile app
Why Erie is the best smaller car insurance company
Erie is n’t available everywhere, but if you live in one of the 12 states where it ’ south offered, it ’ s a great choice for coverage with a repute for ace customer service. It ’ mho besides a full conduct — our analysis found that A full-coverage policy with Erie costs 36 % less than industry average, meaning it ’ s cheaper than a lot of bigger companies. It may not be a national carrier, but Erie offers all the perks of a major insurance company. Erie customers can choose from batch of coverage options, like newly car surrogate, rental reimbursement, and wayside aid .
available in the District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin .
3.3 Policygenius evaluation How we score : Policygenius ’ ratings are determined by our column team. Our methodology takes multiple factors into report, including price, fiscal ratings, choice of customer overhaul, and other product-specific features . Root offers shoppers the chance to pay their rates based on driving behavior while tracked by a mobile app, but lacks the coverage options and features of more established carriers. Pros
- Everything can be done through the app
- price is based on driving habits
- Roadside aid included with every policy
- App trailing may lead to privacy concerns
- Fewer coverage options than competitors
- not available in every submit
Read our fully Root review Get quotes
Why Root is the best car insurance for mobile app and digital tools
A proportional newcomer to the car policy diligence, Root sets rates based on driving behavior rather of the common factors like your location or age. root tracks your driving habits with a mobile app and calculates your rates based on a test period. We found that safe drivers could pay 63 % less for full coverage with Root compared to industry average. Root besides allows drivers to manage their policies, pay their premiums, and charge and proctor claims through its mobile app, which earned good reviews on both the Google Play store and App Store .
available in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin .
number of the top car indemnity companies
Our crown picks are standouts, but there are early big, low-cost car policy options that may be the best choice for some drivers. Check out our extend tilt of the best car policy companies of 2022 .
|caller||average annual premiums||J.D. Power grade|
Policygenius analysis of rates provided by Quadrant Information Services. Rates provided are a sample of costs. Your actual quotes may differ.
What are the different types of car insurance?
All of our picks for the top car insurance companies have the basic coverage that every driver needs in order to be amply protected. It ’ s a thoroughly theme to get familiar with the different types of car policy coverage before you shop for policy, so you know precisely what ’ sulfur going into your policy .
|Coverage type||What it does|
|Property damage liability||Covers the cost of the other party’s repairs if you’re at-fault in a car accident|
|Bodily injury liability||Pays for the other party’s medical bills and related expenses if you cause an accident|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage||Covers the costs if you’re hit by a driver without insurance, or who doesn’t have enough insurance to pay for the damage|
|Collision coverage||Pays for damage to your own car after an accident, even if you were the one at-fault|
|Comprehensive coverage||Covers damage to your car not caused by a collision, like damage from extreme weather, fire or theft|
|Personal injury protection||Required in no-fault states, pays for your own medical expenses after an accident|
|MedPay||Available in at-fault states, pays for medical bills after an accident, usually up to a limited amount|
→ Learn more about the different types of car indemnity coverage
Choosing the best car insurance company
Policygenius makes it easily to choose the best car insurance company, because we show you quotes from the top companies and help you choose the policy that ’ s best for you. Whether you ’ rhenium looking for a company with white boxing glove service or you want the most low-cost option out there, here ’ s what every driver should look for .
Here’s what to consider when you’re comparing car insurance policies:
- Customer service and claims handling. Policygenius has detailed caller follow-up of top car indemnity carriers, so read up on how some of the best providers fare on customer service and claims satisfaction .
- price. Policygenius can help you compare quotes from top companies, so you can see which one offers you the best coverage at the best price. Remember to make certain you ’ rhenium comparing apples to apples — one company may offer you a 6-month policy for $ 750 and another may offer you a yearlong one for $ 900, indeed take a attend at the specifics before you choose your coverage .
- extra coverage options. While most car policy companies offer the same range of standard car insurance options that make up a full coverage policy, some offer a wide range of coverage options than others, including coverage for things like personal belongings stolen from your car, or excess coverage if your pets are injured in an accident. You should besides check to see which other indemnity products are on offer – you can ’ metric ton bundle your car and home insurance with a ship’s company that lone offers car policies .
- Discounts and savings opportunities. The best car indemnity companies can offset the cost of your premiums by offering discounts on car indemnity for things like condom drive, bundling your car and home indemnity, paying your charge in wax at the start of the year, or taking a defensive drive path .
→ Learn more about how to buy cable car policy
What car insurance discounts are available?
The best cable car insurance companies will all offer a wide range of discounts that can help you find your best rates. Some of the most common car insurance discounts include :
- Multi-policy discount : For bundling your car policy with home plate or renters coverage from the like caller
- Multi-car dismiss : For insuring more than one fomite on the like car policy policy
- Claims-free discount rate : For drivers with no holocene claims on their criminal record
- scholar discount : For youthful drivers who maintain above a sealed GPA in school
- Telematics program : Savings in central for safe driving, normally tracked through a smartphone app or circuit board device
- defensive drive course for 55+ : For older drivers who complete a defensive drive course
- Paying in full upfront dismiss : For drivers who pay their full annual premium at the start of the policy term
Frequently asked questions
Are there different types of car insurance companies?
Yes — some cable car policy companies are smaller, regional carriers that alone offer coverage in a few states, while others are national companies that offer policies no topic where you are in the U.S. Some companies only offer car indemnity, while others can besides insure your home, gravy boat, RV or trailer .
How do I find the best car insurance rates?
The most surefire way to get the best cable car indemnity rates is to shop around, and compare quotes from at least three unlike companies before you choose coverage. Policygenius can help you see quotes from crown companies in one go, so you know you ’ re choosing the best price.
Can anyone get USAA car insurance?
No, USAA indemnity is limited to current and erstwhile members of the U.S. military, a well as their spouses and children. If that doesn ’ metric ton identify you, you ’ ll have to look for cable car indemnity coverage elsewhere .
How do I find the best discounts?
Discounts will be mechanically applied to your policy when you buy indemnity, but to make certain you ’ re getting all the best savings, ask about specific discounts during the car policy lotion process. Savings for bundling policies and insuring multiple cars can typically net you bigger savings than discounts for vehicle features .