The cost of car insurance is steadily increasing, excessively, both in Massachusetts and nationally. As the cost of providing policy goes up, the premiums insurers charge besides rise. All insure drivers contribution the increasing cost of insurance. That is why your rates tend to go up every time your policy is renewed, careless of whether any individual factors—like your repel record or location—have changed .
There are respective singular reasons why car policy goes up every class in Massachusetts, excessively, even if your details remain the same .
Top Reasons Car Insurance Is Expensive in Massachusetts
- People in Massachusetts are driving more. As a result, the number of accidents, claims, and payouts is rising, too. For example, there were approximately 321 fatal crashes in 2019 in Massachusetts, versus 313 fatal crashes in 2009.
- Auto repairs are getting more expensive. Vehicles today cost more to repair due to the added technology and features. For example, a National Association of Insurance Commissioners study found that the average cost of vehicle repairs was around 8% higher in 2018 than it was in 2014.
- People in Massachusetts drive uninsured. As the cost of car insurance continues to rise, more drivers take the risk of driving without car insurance. In 2019, 4% of drivers lacked even minimum liability insurance in Massachusetts. The cost of uninsured drivers is passed on to consumers through higher premiums.
- Healthcare in Massachusetts is getting more expensive. Car insurance companies are hit hardest when paying out claims involving medical bills, and it’s not getting any cheaper. Healthcare spending increases by an average of 7% every year in Massachusetts.
- Massachusetts is experiencing more severe weather. In Massachusetts, weather events like severe storms, serious winter weather, and topical cyclones are becoming increasingly common. These weather events cause insurers to pay out a higher number of claims, which tend to be more expensive and less predictable. As a result, they have to raise rates to keep pace.
however, there could be other issues elevating your rates.
If your drive record is clean and your rates are still high, your car indemnity might be expensive because of your :
Age. Drivers under 25 and older than 65 pay more for car coverage because they are statistically more probable to be involved in unplayful and fatal accidents. In Massachusetts, 16-year-old drivers pay an modal of $ 2,408, 25-year-old drivers pay an average of $ 632, and people over 65 give an average of $ 481 .
Location and driving patterns. Population-dense cities have higher premiums than rural areas because city living normally means more accidents, more property crime, and more patronize claims. In Massachusetts, the most expensive locations for policy are Dorchester, Dorchester Center, and Brockton. You can besides expect rates to change based on your driving patterns—long commutes or regular drive in bad areas can cost you.
Read more: Average Car Insurance Rates by Age (2022)
Financial responsibility. You can demonstrate fiscal duty by maintaining minimal car policy with no gaps in coverage. Letting your coverage lapse could result in a higher rate when you get your adjacent policy .
Claims history. numerous late claims can drive up your premiums. That ‘s one reason why it sometimes makes sense to pay out of pocket quite than file a claim, specially if a claim won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate get you much more than your deductible.
Read more: Classic Car Insurance | Bankrate
How to Get Cheaper Car Insurance in Massachusetts
multiple factors affect the cost of car insurance. Some things you can ’ t restraint, but you do have a allege in most of the put up factors. Driving safely, obeying traffic laws, and keeping a clean drive commemorate are the best ways to keep your insurance costs down .
other than that, the best way to lower your car insurance costs is to compare rates from at least three policy companies. ideally, you should check your rates every 6-12 months, when you renew your policy. But at a minimum, be certain to check your record and workshop for rates every three to five years, since you may be able to get a lower rate if a traffic rape falls off your criminal record .
In Massachusetts, the most expensive policies cost approximately $ 1,065, and the least expensive coverage costs about $ 252, when all driver visibility information is the lapp. That means you could save vitamin a much as $ 813 simply by shopping about. Be certain to confirm you ’ re getting all the discounts you ’ re eligible for, excessively.