If you ’ ve always taken part in the daily cable car race in and out of Brussels, then you ’ ll understand the importance of good car indemnity in Belgium. But what are your options when it comes to getting yourself and your car covered ?
Our guide takes a look at the comply issues :
Need coverage before you get behind the wheel in Belgium ? Speak to the experts at AXA. Their car indemnity policies can be tailored to the needs of you and your vehicle, whether you own an urban runaround or a 4X4 in the beautiful belgian countryside. Give yourself peace of mind on the roads and get a quote for AXA car indemnity today.
Reading: Car insurance in Belgium
Get a quote today
Car insurance in Belgium
cable car insurance in Belgium is compulsory to at least third-party indebtedness coverage. It is the car rather than the driver that is insured, which means that anyone with a valid drive license can drive your car if it is insured. Because it is the vehicle that is insured, drivers have to take out extra policies if they own more than one vehicle. however, many insurers offer deals on multiple vehicle coverage .
Vehicle coverage is bad clientele in Belgium. Auto insurance is the largest non-life insurance marketplace in the country, with premiums totaling €3.7 billion in 2016. This outstrips property policy at €2.8 billion and health insurance at €1.6 billion. As you might expect, this means you have plenty of options when taking out a policy. Car indemnity providers in Belgium include :
If you ’ re confused by the choice, brokers like Hopala compare premiums from Belgium ’ s biggest insurers and help you get the right deal for you .
The indemnity market in Belgium is regulated by the Financial Services and Markets Authority, and insurers are much represented by their industry body, Assuralia .
Can I use my car insurance in Belgium?
If you move to Belgium from another EU state, you can use your existing cable car indemnity policy a long as it equates to at least third-party coverage. You typically need to register your car with the belgian authorities unless you are staying in the state temporarily .
Drivers from outside of the EU/EFTA normally need to purchase belgian car indemnity. You may be nontaxable if you have bought an advanced policy in your home country that allows you to drive overseas, but you should check this in advance of your motion .
Types of car insurance in Belgium
There are three independent types of car insurance in Belgium .
Third-party liability (Responsabilité Civile/Wettelijke Aansprakelijkheidsverzekering)
This is the minimal level of car indemnity required by belgian law. It covers death, bodily injury, or physical damage that you cause to another person in an incident where you are at fault. It besides covers the cost of damage caused to other vehicles .
Third-party insurance doesn ’ t cover any of your own costs, whether relating to yourself or your vehicle. It ’ s a sensible policy to choose if you drive an cheap car or don ’ t drive very often .
Part comprehensive (Mini Omnium/Mini Casco)
This policy offers third-party coverage plus it covers damage to your own car caused by fire, natural disasters, ramp damage, and collisions with animals on the road. It besides covers the larceny of your vehicle .
part comprehensive doesn ’ thyroxine cover costs if you have an accident that is your demerit. Most policies besides exclude price due to vandalism .
Fully comprehensive (Maxi Omnium/Maxi Casco)
fully comprehensive policies in Belgium cover all general costs even when the driver of the see car is at fault. however, there are park exclusions such as intentional damage. Some policies besides exclude things such as legal costs and breakdown aid which may need to be purchased as add-ons. Check for any exclusions before making your policy leverage .
in full comprehensive policy is a good option if you have a newly or expensive car, where the cost of replacing the cable car yourself in the consequence of an incident would be excessively great .
Costs and excess
car indemnity in Belgium can be dearly-won and is subject to value-added tax ( TVA/BTW ). in full comprehensive examination is naturally the most expensive indemnity type, with third-party liability the cheapest. The accurate cost of your indemnity policy will be based on factors such as :
- the value and age of the vehicle;
- number of listed drivers of the vehicle;
- profile of the driver(s) – driving history, age, health, etc.;
- how much driving is done, with some insurers offering discounts on vehicles that clock up below a certain number of annual kilometers
You can besides lower your car policy costs by increasing your surfeit or deductible. This is the sum that you have to pay for any call you make. All insurers will have a compulsory surfeit but you can choose to increase this in decree to reduce your monthly or annual bounty .
Find out how much you will pay in belgian car indemnity using this calculation tool .
Additional forms of car insurance in Belgium
You can purchase supplementary indemnity on top of your general policy to cover areas that might be excluded. These can include :
- Legal insurance – covers legal costs if you are in an incident that ends up in the courts.
- Driver injury insurance – this is a useful add-on to third party insurance as it covers your own medical expenses resulting from an accident.
- Roadside assistance – covers costs incurred if you breakdown while on a journey, such as vehicle towing and replacement transport costs.
- No claims protection – insures against your premium rising if you are in an accident that is your fault. You may have to have a good driving record to take this out, for example, no insurance claims in the previous three years.
Car insurance bonuses and penalties in Belgium
Like insurance in other european countries, a no-claims bonus scheme is the norm. Some belgian insurance companies now call this a no-claims joker scheme with rewards attached for periods without any claims. It operates much the like as criterion no-claims bonus schemes .
The bonus or reward you are entitled to for no-claims periods varies between insurers. typically, you ’ ll get around a 10 % discount after one class and this then rises every class up to a maximum period ( normally 10–15 years ) .
If you have a previous no-claim record in another nation, you can bring it with you to roll it over onto your newly policy. not all insurers will recognize the claim-free drive experience you have accumulated abroad, but those that do offer up a dismiss for a good drive record .
Insurers are besides complimentary to apply penalties to drivers with a poor drive record. Your premiums are likely to rise if you :
- have been involved in any incidents which were your fault;
- have been found guilty of offenses such as speeding or drunk driving;
- are a young or inexperienced driver
Car insurance companies in Belgium
If you ’ re looking for cable car policy in Belgium, there are enough of options so it pays to shop around. You can either do this yourself, or you can use a comparison web site. car insurers in Belgium include the following :
If you ’ rhenium diffident of which supplier to choose, you might want to consider using a comparison serve. insurance brokers like Hopala compare the premiums on offer with Belgium ’ s biggest insurers and ensure you get the correct consider for you .
How to choose car insurance in Belgium
When choosing car insurance in Belgium, it ’ randomness authoritative to consider a kind of factors other than precisely opting for the cheapest. You should give thought to :
- Excess/deductible – what is the mandatory amount you will have to pay towards a claim and what options do you have to increase it?
- Coverage and exclusions – look through the fine print to see exactly what is and isn’t eligible for coverage. Does it meet your requirements? What are the options and costs for add-ons?
- Company reputation – check online reviews, annual industry ratings and customer feedback so see if the real world experience matches up to the company advertisements.
- Claims process – how easy is it to make a claim and how quickly will you get reimbursed?
- Rewards and bonuses – what does the company offer in terms of no-claims? Can you use no-claims periods from other insurers or countries?
- Ethical performance – how well does the company perform in areas such as environmental sustainability, corporate social responsibility (CSR) and worker rights? You can compare insurers using ratings compiled by assessors such as Ethical Consumer.
Applying for car insurance in Belgium
Applying for car indemnity in Belgium is pretty straightforward. Most of the bigger companies allow you to apply online so you can do it in a topic of minutes. You will normally get a decisiveness within a copulate of days .
The demand application process varies according to the insurance company. You will typically need to provide :
- Valid ID to prove that you are at least 18 years old
- Proof of Belgian address such as a recent utility bill
- Vehicle registration details to prove that your car is registered in Belgium
once you have taken out a policy, the company will issue you with a park Card ( european drive insurance certificate ) and an accident report phase. You should keep these in your car at all times since the patrol can demand to see them .
How to make a car insurance claim in Belgium
If you need to make a car policy call in Belgium, you should do the follow :
- Fill out your accident report form if involved in an accident.
- Make sure you take down the names, addresses, car registration details and Green Card details of all other parties involved in the event of an accident.
- Also get the names and addresses of any witnesses in the event of an accident.
- Submit your insurance claim to your insurer. Typically, this is done over the phone but some companies may allow e-mail or online submissions.
- If the police were called as a result of an accident, ask for a copy of the police report. You should send a copy of this and the accident report form to your insurer to support your claim.
- Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle to support your claim.
You should submit your claim within one week of the incident. Following this, your insurance company will provide you with a claim number and details of your claim coach .
Cancelling a contract or changing provider
If you want to cancel a car policy policy in Belgium, you typically need to give at least three months ’ notice. Most belgian insurers have their own cancelations serve which normally involves submitting a cancelation letter within the cancelation period. Companies much have letter templates or instructions for what to include on their web site .
You can sometimes ask for a shorter cancelation period which needs to be agreed upon with your insurance company upfront. This is normally granted for reasons such as if you work in Belgium temporarily and may need to move at short detect .
You are complimentary to change policy providers in Belgium at any time a long as you work through the notice period with your existing insurance company. Some companies offer to deal with all of the administration involved with switching to them free of blame, as a way of attracting fresh customers .
Making a complaint about a car insurance company in Belgium
If you wish to complain about an insurance company in Belgium, you should follow these steps :
- Step one – try to resolve the dispute with your insurer first. All companies should have a complaints department which should detail the procedures to follow.
- Step two – if you are not happy with the outcome, you can take the complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman who will review your dispute. You will need to submit a complaint in writing that describes your problem and contains all the necessary details of your complaint to the insurance company (e.g., file reference number).
- Step three – if you are still dissatisfied, you can take the matter to court However, this can be costly so you should be sure to have a strong case before doing this.
Roadside assistance in Belgium
many belgian car policy companies offer wayside aid or breakdown aid coverage, either as a standalone policy or as depart of in full comprehensive insurance .
Another choice is to join a membership baseball club. In Belgium, organizations such as VAB and the Royal Automobile Club of Belgium ( RACB ) offer wayside aid to members across the country, with overseas coverage available, besides .
There are assorted different cost packages available, ranging from basic breakdown aid to advanced packages which include ball-shaped medical aid, haunt costs, and substitution transportation costs .
- Financial Services and Markets Authority (FSMA) – regulates the Belgian insurance sector
- Insurance Ombudsman – arbitrates on complaints made against insurance companies in Belgium
- Hopala – insurance comparison site
- VAB – Belgian automobile association