Progressive Auto Insurance Review
- Wide range of policy discounts: Progressive offers a total of 13 discounts. These range from loyalty-based to driver-based to how you get a quote and purchase coverage.
- Lower than average customer complaints: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) awarded Progressive a 0.68 complaint score in 2020, bringing it below the average complaint score of 1.0.
- 24/7/365 customer support available: Progressive offers customer service support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- Prices may be higher depending on how you purchase: Because of online discounts and other expenses, prices for the same policy may be different depending on how you purchase.
- Policies may be on the more expensive side: Depending on where you live, Progressive may be a more expensive auto insurance option compared to competitors.
- Competitors receive higher customer satisfaction ratings: According to J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, Texas was the only state or region where Progressive fell into the top three insurance companies based on consumer satisfaction.
Reading: Progressive Auto Insurance Review
progressive, known for its curious spokesperson Flo, is one of the top car insurers in the country with over 18 million customers. liberal offers a wide range of policies, including fomite, property, commercial, and personal coverage. alone discounts, including the Save with Snapshot, help Progressive stand out among its competitors .
Progressive was founded in 1937 and is headquartered in Mayfield Village, Ohio. This insurance company offers coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. It besides offers several types of fomite indemnity, including liability, comprehensive examination & collision, and wayside aid .
Types of coverage
progressive offers four chief types of coverage : liability, comprehensive examination and collision, uninsured and underinsured motorist, and wayside aid .
Liability coverage covers property damage and injuries others suffer from your drive, and most states require it. overlay situations include price to cars, property, and other people, checkup bills, and court fees .
Comprehensive and Collision Coverage
Comprehensive and collision coverage will pay for repairs or successor of a vehicle if you ’ re in an accident, careless of blame. however, they are not the like thing. comprehensive indemnity covers events out of your operate, such as hitting a deer or a tree branch falling onto your car ; collision indemnity covers you if you collide with something else ( other than an animal ), such as backing up into a pole or getting into a buffer carouse .
Comprehensive besides covers damages ascribable to theft, vandalism, fire, or other acts of nature, and a deductible is required .
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist
Uninsured and underinsured insurance covers you if you ’ rhenium hit by a driver with no or insufficient indemnity protection. specifically, uninsured insurance covers you if you ’ ra hit by a driver with no car indemnity, while underinsured protects you if the driver that hit you doesn ’ t have enough coverage to pay for damages or injuries they caused. Uninsured and underinsured are offered alongside one another and mandated in many states .
If you want excess peace of mind on the road, Progressive ’ s Roadside Assistance comes with a diverseness of 24/7 services to help out in an emergency. Roadside aid is provided by Agero, a supplier of driver aid services normally used by insurance companies, and covers the follow :
- Vehicle towing: Tow to a location with a 15-mile radius
- Winching: Pulls your car out of mud, snow, water, or sand within 100 feet of the road/highway
- Battery jump-start: Jump-starts your car if your battery dies
- Battery charge on electric cars: Provides a tow to the nearest charging station, or anywhere you’d like within 15 miles
- Fuel delivery: You need to pay for the fuel, but delivery and service are free
- Locksmith service: Service provided if keys are lost, stolen, or locked inside the vehicle
- Flat tire change: Flat replaced for no cost, but you need to provide the spare
- On-scene labor: Provides up to one hour of labor if your car isn’t running
early Types of coverage
Progressive besides offers the adopt types of insurance :
- Medical payments: Pays for medical and funeral expenses, as well as those of your passengers or family members, regardless of fault
- Loan/lease payoff: Also known as gap insurance, this can cover the difference between what you owe on your car and what it’s currently worth (up to 25% of the cash value)
- Rental car reimbursement: If in a covered accident, this will pay for a rental up to the policy limit (typically $40–$60 per day) while the vehicle is getting worked on
- Custom parts and equipment value insurance: Can cover parts such as stereo or navigation system, custom wheels, or a paint job
- Rideshare coverage: Helps bridge insurance gap while driving for a rideshare company
Progressive has 13 different discounts that policyholders can take advantage of. Some of the more democratic include multi-policy, multi-car, condom driver, and beneficial student. Take note that residents of certain states ( like California ) may not be eligible for certain discounts .
Loyalty-Based Auto Discounts
- Multi-policy: Having two or more policies through Progressive saves an average of 5%. You can save by combining auto and home/renters insurance, or multiple auto policies.
- Multi-car: Having more than one vehicle policy through Progressive saves an average of 4%.
- Continuous insurance: Switching to Progressive qualifies you for a discount based on how long you were with the past insurer; the longer you were with that insurer, the bigger the discount. If you go over a month without insurance, you may not be eligible.
Driver-Based Auto Discounts
- Safe driver discount: With Progressive’s Snapshot program, the safer you drive, the more you can save.
- Teen driver discount: This discount is available for teens on the policy under the age of 18; adding your child to your own policy is typically cheaper than getting a separate policy, even before this discount. If your policy has multiple vehicles, your teenager will be insured to drive all of them.
- Good student discount: A full-time student who maintains a B average or better qualifies (average discount of 10%).
- Distant student discount: Available for a full-time student that is 22 or under and lives 100 miles away without a vehicle at school (average discount varies).
- Homeowner discount: If you own a home, even if it’s not insured through Progressive, it can earn you a discount on auto insurance (average discount of 10%).
quote and Buy Discounts
- Online quote: Obtaining a quote online (even if you finish over the phone) makes you eligible.
- Sign online: Signing policy documents online gives you a discount.
- Paperless: Opting to receive your paperwork by email rather than regular mail makes you eligible; discounts vary depending on account.
- Pay in full: Pay up front and in full for a discount.
- Automatic payment: Setting up automatic payments earns you a discount.
Read more: Bad Driving Record Car Insurance
liberal ’ randomness Snapshot program, besides known as usage-based insurance, allows you to pay based on how much you drive. Depending on your drive, you obtain a discount rate for participating and then receive a personalize rate after the first year. Customers who use this feature of speech save on average $ 146 a year .
You can request a quote on-line or speak to a congressman to obtain one, but understand that your quote may not be the same depending on how you acquire it or apply .
There are respective different ways you can pay for your policy at Progressive :
- Automatically through a checking account, credit card, or debit card (pay this way and earn the automatic payment discount)
- Paying upfront and in full (qualifies you for the pay in full discount)
- Text message
- Phone call: 1-800-776-4737
- Online account
You have the option of paying monthly for your policy but will miss out on the pay-in-full discount rate ( which typically covers six months. ) The price of your insurance policy is based on several factors :
- Whether you’re a teenage driver: Teens are more likely to get into accidents and are more expensive to insure.
- Age: Typically rates stabilize after teenage years until age 75.
- How much you use your vehicle: The more you use it, the more your policy may cost.
- Whether you have speeding tickets or traffic violations: More tickets equates to higher premiums.
- If you’ve had at-fault, not-at-fault, or one-car accidents: These also increase your premium.
- Location: Living in heavily populated urban places increases premiums.
- What type of coverage you select: Typically, the more coverage you have, the more your policy will cost
- How you pay: The way you pay determines if you’re eligible for a discount.
- How many miles you drive: If you’re a high-volume driver, you may pay more.
- Credit score: Typically, the higher your credit score the lower your premiums.
- Continuous coverage: If you have no gaps in coverage, you likely will get a lower rate.
- Vehicle engine size: A V8 engine or greater may mean higher premiums.
Progressive has a personnel casualty proportion of 62.29 %, which is reasonably low among exchangeable companies. A lower loss ratio indicates better fiscal health, so this is a adept augury. According to internal research, Progressive ’ s annual modal premiums are $ 2,430, with the median annual premium being $ 1,544. Compared to the contest, Progressive tends to be about average for premiums.
Progressive has respective other features, including :
- Online comparison tool: Compare prices to competitors online.
- Name Your Price tool: Tell Progressive what your budget allows, and it will show you a range of options.
- Deductible Savings Bank: Optional coverage that will decrease your policy’s cost every six months.
- Small accident forgiveness: Rate won’t increase for a claim under $500.
- Large accident forgiveness: If you have an accident but haven’t had any accidents or violations in the past three years, this insurer won’t raise your rates.
- Roadside assistance: Roadside assistance covers towing, flat tire changes, fuel delivery, and lock-out services.
progressive ’ mho customer servicing provides electronic mail, on-line chat, and 24/7 call patronize at 1-888-671-4405. While you can email about your claim/the claim procedure, wayside aid, and report fraud/identity larceny through the Progressive web site, you must be logged in to your report to email with specific questions about your policy .
Progressive has mixed customer atonement ratings and reviews. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners ( NAIC ), Progressive has lower than average customer complaints. It besides ranked among peak insurers on JD Power ‘s recent U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, which measures overall customer gratification .
But according to Consumer Affairs, Progressive Auto Insurance has an average denounce of good 1.3 out of 5 stars from 86 ratings. It besides did n’t fare well on Trustpilot, receiving an average of 1.4 out of 5 stars across 168 ratings .
progressive offers online quote and buy options, american samoa well as a user-friendly on-line portal site, helping its customers have an easier experience obtaining policy. According to a 2021 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Study, Progressive ranked fifth in overall customer satisfaction in California, eighth in the Central region and Florida, fourth in New England and Southwest Region, 10th in New York, seventh in the North Central, Mid-Atlantic, and Northwest area, 14th in the Southeast region, and third gear in Texas .
AM Best—which rates companies ’ fiscal strength—has given Progressive a rat of A+ ( Superior ), lone one step down from the highest evaluation of A++. This evaluation allows customers to feel confident that Progressive will be able to help them financially if they need to make a claim .
When reviewing an car policy provider, it ’ s besides important to understand how many complaints it has compared to its competitors. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners ( NAIC ) awarded Progressive a 0.68 complaint grudge in 2020, bringing it below the average ailment score of 1.0. It had 975 complaints in 2020, down from 1484 in 2019 and 1453 in 2018 .
liberal customers can create an account on-line and then gain access to their customer portal. Inside the portal vein, clients can email policy questions and manage their policies, including reviewing their coverage, benefits, requital options, and more. Progressive besides offers customer service available 24/7 for those need confirm over the telephone .
How progressive Compares to other Auto Insurance Companies
bounty costs are an authoritative component to consider when reviewing car insurance companies. Out of 25 car insurance companies ranked from lowest to highest prices, Progressive came in 14th for average annual bounty and 11th for medial annual premium .
Compared to early companies operating in the lapp states, Progressive was most expensive for Alaska, Vermont, and Georgia, and second-most for South Carolina, Hawaii, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, and Massachusetts. It was the third most expensive for Colorado, Maine, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia. For all other states, it was ranked less expensive compared to its competitors .
If you are looking for an car indemnity provider that makes it easy to apply for and obtain indemnity on-line, Progressive is a great option. The count of policies and discounts available make it simple to find a customize option that will save you money. In addition to the discounts, the Name Your Price tool and Save with Snapshot options may allow for far savings.
Read more: The Best Car Insurance Companies for 2022
Although the company has mixed ratings and reviews, you can contact customer avail 24/7 and obtain quotes and apply for and manage your policies online. liberal international relations and security network ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate typically the cheapest option for car indemnity, so budget-conscious people may want to avoid them. It does have a firm fiscal reputation and long-standing history, though, making it a popular choice for some able to look past these downfalls.
All of our reviews of car policy companies are based on across-the-board inquiry and analysis of each caller ’ sulfur coverage, customer service, price, years in business, accreditation, and more. To pace Progressive and other providers, we developed an car insurance review methodology that compares the car insurance coverage types, extra features, discounts, account management, and reported customer experiences to help us provide insights into things like customer service and the strength of each company ’ south offerings .
Category : car insurance questions