Best Car Insurance Companies: Our Picks (January 2022)
- Compare the industry’s best car insurance providers and their scores in different categories.
- See our top six car insurance recommendations and their pros and cons.
- Read our tips for finding the best car insurance for you.
affiliate disclosure : Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below .
Finding the best car indemnity company at the end of the year can be nerve-racking. With so much going on, figuring out who offers the best coverage at the best rates can be a very challenge .
Our adept team researched the top car indemnity companies in the diligence, assessing each party ’ sulfur coverage options, car insurance rates, diligence ratings, and customer reviews. To help make finding the right supplier easy for you, we ’ ve narrowed down the list to only the best cable car indemnity companies in our discipline .
We strongly recommend getting car policy quotes from multiple insurers before making a decisiveness on your future car indemnity company. Read more to see our recommendations and learn more about what to look for when you compare car insurance providers.
The Best car policy Companies of 2022
After thoroughly reviewing a wide choice of the nation ’ s premier providers and analyzing the results, our technical team has ranked the crown choices for this calendar month. here are the best car insurance companies for 2022 :
|Best Car Insurance||Superlative||Overall Score (%)||Coverage Score (%)||Average Annual Cost Estimate|
|USAA||Best for Military Families||96||95||$ 1,113|
|State Farm||Best for Student Drivers||95||95||$1,339|
|Progressive||Best for High-Risk Drivers||95||95||$1,397|
|AAA||Best Membership Perks||92||90||N/A|
|Liberty Mutual||Best for New Drivers||91||95||N/A|
GEICO : Best overall
Availability: All 50 states
AM Best Rating: A++
2021 J.D. Power Score: 881/1000
We chose GEICO as our top pick because of its high scores across all categories and handiness to most drivers. With low premiums and a long list of discounts, GEICO is an excellent choice for anyone on a tight budget. Car policy coverage options from GEICO are well suited for young drivers, military members, and those who prioritize safe drive habits. Those looking for high liability coverage limits should besides consider a policy with GEICO .
GEICO makes it easy to sign up by offering all of its services on-line, whether you are applying for a cable car indemnity policy or going through the claims summons. Based on our research, GEICO is one of the best car insurance providers on the market .
GEICO Pros and Cons
|GEICO Pros||GEICO Cons|
GEICO Insurance Cost
According to our rate estimates, dependable drivers can find annual rates of about $ 1,352 with Geico. This is cheaper than the home average of $ 1,732 per year. This pace estimate applies to entire coverage indemnity for 35-year-old drivers with good credit and drive records .
Below, you can see a few more rate estimates for different repel profiles. Notice that Geico is reasonably low-cost for most drivers except those who have DUIs .
|Driver Profile||Geico Annual Cost Estimate|
|35-year-old with good credit and driving history||$1,352|
|24-year-old with good credit and driving history||$1,627|
|35-year-old with recent car accident||$2,427|
|35-year-old with poor credit||$2,077|
|35-year-old with recent DUI||$3,359|
Learn more about GEICO ’ mho costs, coverage, and customer ratings in our in-depth GEICO policy review
USAA : Best for military Families
Availability: All 50 states, but limited to military members and their families
AM Best Rating: A++
2021 J.D. Power Score: 909/1000
USAA enjoys an outstanding reputation and for good reason. In the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM, the company had the highest scores. From AM Best, it received the highest possible rat of “ Superior, ” indicating fiscal constancy and thereby making it one of the best car policy companies available today .
While USAA is tied for the highest overall military rank in our industry review, the supplier comes with a limit. To be insured through USAA, you must have either served in the U.S. military or be the spouse or child of person who has USAA membership .
USAA Pros and Cons
|USAA Pros||USAA Cons|
USAA Insurance Cost
Our average rate estimates show USAA is by and large the most low-cost caller overall. good drivers can find annual rates of $ 1,113 for full coverage insurance with the company. USAA is besides low-cost for unlike types of drivers, including those with DUIs according to our rate estimates .
|Driver Profile||USAA Annual Cost Estimate|
|35-year-old with good credit and driving history||$1,013|
|24-year-old with good credit and driving history||$1,422|
|35-year-old with recent car accident||$1,428|
|35-year-old with poor credit||$1,807|
|35-year-old with recent DUI||$2,209|
Learn more about USAA ’ mho car insurance costs, coverage options, and ratings in our in-depth USAA policy review .
state farm : Best for scholar Drivers
Availability: 48 states ( excludes Massachusetts and Rhode Island )
AM Best Rating: A++
2021 J.D. Power Score: 892/1000
department of state farm is the largest car policy company in the U.S., at least by market contribution. The insurance company accounted for precisely over 16 percentage of the market in 2020, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners ( NAIC ). State Farm besides has what is arguably the best fiscal force among the car policy companies on this list .
The company besides has an immersive on-line experience for policyholders. To date, State Farm has four mobile apps, including the State Farm App, Drive Safe & Save™, Steer Clear®, and the State Farm Pocket Estimator. Steer Clear is a safe drive program that is a great way for drivers under the old age of 25 to save money .
The caller besides offers a good student Discount which rewards students for maintaining good grades in school. This combination of programs and discounts makes State Farm the best car insurance company for college and high school students .
country Farm Pros and Cons
|State Farm Pros||State Farm Cons|
state farm indemnity monetary value
state farm is another low-cost supplier compared to the industry modal. good drivers can find fully coverage rates of about $ 1,339 per class with the company. State Farm is besides low-cost for young drivers, but it can be expensive for those with poor citation .
|Driver Profile||State Farm Annual Cost Estimate|
|35-year-old with good credit and driving history||$1,339|
|24-year-old with good credit and driving history||$1,765|
|35-year-old with recent car accident||$1,671|
|35-year-old with poor credit||$3,616|
|35-year-old with recent DUI||$1,998|
Read our in-depth State Farm indemnity inspection for a more detailed look at the company .
progressive : Best for High-Risk Drivers
Availability: All 50 states
AM Best Rating: A+
2021 J.D. Power Score: 862/1000
Read more: The Best Car Insurance Companies for 2022
Everyone knows Flo, the fabricated salesperson from Progressive, but did you know Progressive has a history of being a footfall ahead of competitors, including being the beginning to allow people to purchase insurance plans online in the 1990s ?
Since then, Progressive has only improved its on-line know by adding features such as the Name Your Price® tool that allows you to start with your hope payment and view the best car indemnity plans based on your budget .
Progressive besides sets itself apart by being more low-cost for drivers who have a DUI/DWI on record. While many car insurance companies double or even triple payments, Progressive merely increases the bounty an average of six percentage .
While it may be the best choice for drivers with a history, it should be noted that the average progressive customer pays about $ 1,500 to $ 2,000 per year, which is more than the home average .
progressive Pros and Cons
|Progressive Pros||Progressive Cons|
progressive policy cost
Our estimates show progressive offers annual full coverage rates of about $ 1,397 to good drivers, which is cheaper than the national median of $ 1,732. With Progressive, rates besides don ’ t increase excessively much whether you are a youthful driver, have poor credit, or have an accident or DUI on your record .
|Driver Profile||Progressive Annual Cost Estimate|
|35-year-old with good credit and driving history||$1,397|
|24-year-old with good credit and driving history||$2,029|
|35-year-old with recent car accident||$2,471|
|35-year-old with poor credit||$2,514|
|35-year-old with recent DUI||$2,106|
abdominal aortic aneurysm : Best Membership Perks
Availability: All 50 states, though coverage is regionally focused
AM Best Rating: A
2021 J.D. Power Score: N/A
Most of us associate abdominal aortic aneurysm with wayside aid, but the company offers much more – including cable car insurance. AAA stands out because of its matchless benefits to its members, including discounts on policy, automotive, bicycle, and locksmith services, a well as blue-ribbon retailers, dining outlets, lease cars, and more .
While the company has over 60 million members, its services are regionally focused and consequently not available in all travel rapidly codes. Another thing to keep in mind is evening though the ship’s company offers a wide-eyed range of discounts, you have to be a member of AAA, which requires you to pay an annual fee, to qualify for policy and other benefits. If you do qualify, AAA is one of the best car policy companies in the industry .
AAA Pros and Cons
|AAA Pros||AAA Cons|
familiarity Mutual : Best for New Drivers
Availability: All 50 states
AM Best Rating: A
2021 J.D. Power Score: 876/1000
Liberty Mutual is one of the best cable car insurance companies in the U.S. and besides sells place and casualty, health, and life indemnity policies. Though the caller started over 100 years ago in the U.S., it has a large international presence and now operates in 17 countries .
We recommend this car policy company particularly for new drivers, as it has the highest new driver discount out of our compared brands. other car insurance discounts include an on-line purchase discount, a bundle discount when besides purchasing other insurance products, and up to 30-percent off for drivers with a dear record .
Liberty Mutual Pros and Cons
|Liberty Mutual Pros||Liberty Mutual Cons|
What You Should Know About Car insurance
How Car Insurance Works
Auto insurance coverage is protection you can buy for you and your vehicle. This indemnity covers some or all of the costs related to a car accident or other incidents, such as property damage and aesculapian payments .
How a lot Does Car Insurance Cost ?
Our research found that the average rate in the U.S. for fully coverage indemnity was $1,732 across all providers. But it is very improbable that you ’ vitamin d pay the same rate. That ’ second because indemnity providers use a number of factors about you and your vehicle to determine your premiums .
car indemnity price Factors
here are equitable a few of the factors that influence the cost of your cable car policy premium :
- Coverage options: If you’re looking for the cheapest rates, you’ll want to find a plan that only satisfies the state minimum coverage requirements. Other types of coverage, such as collision insurance, can insulate you from more risk but add to the cost of your premiums.
- Coverage amounts: You can also choose the maximum amounts your insurance policy pays out in an accident. Higher coverage limits will result in higher premiums.
- Deductible: In most cases, you’ll get to choose a deductible, or the amount you pay out of pocket for covered repairs. A lower deductible means less to pay when repairs come, but it also means a higher premium.
- Add-ons: Add-on options such as roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement may add some extra to your premiums, but they can also come in handy when you’re in a tough spot.
- Driving record: Any recent moving violations or at-fault accidents will raise your auto insurance rates. Drivers with a clean driving record get the cheapest rates on car insurance.
- Age: Seniors and younger drivers will pay more for their auto insurance policy than middle-aged drivers. But it’s teen drivers who pay the highest rates.
- Credit history: A poor credit score will mean you have to pay more for your car insurance coverage than drivers with a good credit rating. However, state laws have made it illegal for insurance companies to factor credit scores into insurance rates in California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, and New Jersey.
- Location: The state where you live plays an important role in your car insurance premiums. But even within the same state, drivers in different zip codes will still pay different rates. For example, drivers in rural areas tend to pay less for coverage than those in cities.
car policy Discounts
The right car policy discount can make a huge dent in your annual bounty. These days, the best car policy companies offer a broad range of discounts to help make coverage more low-cost for policyholders in a wide variety of situations .
hera are some of the most common cable car policy discounts you ’ ll line up :
- Multi-policy: Most car insurance providers offer other insurance products too. If you bundle your auto coverage with products like life, renters, or home insurance from the same provider, you can usually get a discount.
- Multi-car: Insurance companies usually offer lower rates if you insure more than one car under the same policy.
- Safety features: Daytime running lights, passenger airbags, and other advanced safety features can often net you a discount from your insurance company.
- Telematics: Most larger providers now offer some form of GPS-enabled monitored driving program. These programs track your driving habits through a mobile app and reward good habits with a discount.
- Safe driver: Many insurance companies offer a break on your insurance premiums if you go for a specified amount of time without an accident.
- Good driver: Depending on your insurer, you can sometimes get a discount for completing a state-approved defensive driving course.
- Paid in full: With some companies, you can lower your insurance premiums by paying for your entire policy up front, rather than month-to-month.
- Military: Several top insurers offer discounted rates for active service members. Many of these discounts extend to retired and reserved service members, as well as family members of military personnel.
- Accident-free: Many insurers reward you for going for an extended period of time without any accidents. The amount of time specified depends on the insurer.
average Car insurance price by State
As we mentioned above, the state where you live plays a pivotal function in how much you pay for car indemnity premiums. Different states have different minimum policy requirements, different risk factors, unlike populations, and other cost factors. That ’ mho why you see so a lot variation from state to state when it comes to car policy rates .
here is the average rate for each state ( and the District of Columbia ), based on a 35-year-old driver with good recognition and a clean drive record along with the cheapest supplier in each state :
|State||State Average Cost Estimate||Cheapest Car Insurance Provider||Average Premium|
|District of Columbia||$1,787||USAA||$812|
|New Hampshire||$1,181||Auto Owners||$602|
|North Carolina||$1,277||Erie Insurance||$927|
|Texas||$2,067||Texas Farm Bureau||$1,010|
car policy coverage
While each insurance company has its own perks and drawbacks, most offer a alike range of standard coverage options. hera ’ s what you ’ ll find at closely every cable car indemnity provider you come across :
- Bodily injury liability coverage: Pays for medical bills and other related expenses to other drivers in an accident for which you are found at fault.
- Property damage liability coverage: Covers damages to other drivers’ cars and other personal property resulting from an accident you caused.
- Uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist coverage: Covers expenses in the event the at-fault driver lacks the proper insurance to do so.
- Collision coverage: Pays for damages to your own vehicle resulting from an accident for which you are found at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers damages to your vehicle that aren’t from an accident, such as theft, vandalism, or extreme weather.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Pays medical expenses for you and your passengers, regardless of who is found at fault for an accident. It also covers other related expenses like lost wages from missed work. This coverage is also sometimes referred to as “no-fault” insurance.
- Medical payments (MedPay): Covers medical expenses similar to PIP but does not cover additional expenses such as missed wages.
extra coverage Options
The best car policy companies have lots to offer beyond their standard coverage options. Policy add-ons can help you cover other costs and risks that come with car ownership beyond damages. here are some of the most coarse extra coverage options you ’ ll line up with insurance providers :
- Guaranteed asset protection (GAP coverage): Covers some or all of the difference between the assessed value of your car and the amount you owe on the vehicle if it is totaled in an accident. Lenders and leaseholders sometimes require this coverage.
- Emergency roadside assistance: Pays for some or all of emergency roadside assistance services like towing, lockouts, fuel and fluid delivery, and more. Some, but not all of these packages offer 24/7 support.
- Rental car reimbursement: Covers a portion of the cost of a rental car if your car becomes inoperable or sits in the shop following a covered accident.
- Rideshare coverage: Covers drivers in between jobs while working for a ridesharing service such as Uber or Lyft.
Which Types of Insurance Are Required ?
While the ask amounts and types of coverage vary between them, closely every state requires some come of car policy coverage. merely New Hampshire and Virginia do not require drivers to carry car insurance .
Most states require drivers to carry at least some form of indebtedness indemnity. Others require more complete coverage, like indemnity to cover drivers who don ’ t have sufficient policy .
How to Find the Best cable car policy company For You
As you can see, there ’ s a lot that goes into how a lot you end up paying for car insurance. And that ’ s separate of what makes finding the best car policy company for your coverage such a challenge. While some car indemnity providers are in general better than others, there ’ south barely no one right answer for anyone .
That ’ s why we recommend getting car insurance quotes from respective providers who offer the indemnity products and benefits that fit your needs. You can use those quotes to see who provides the bum car indemnity rates. Each of the providers in this list would be a bang-up set to start .
What is the number one cable car indemnity company ?
state farm is the largest car insurance caller in the country, but our team rated Geico as the best car indemnity company overall. This fink is based on the company ’ second combination of coverage, prices, and reputation with customers and industry professionals .
What is the best car policy coverage ?
While a combination of liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage offers you the most protection, the best car policy coverage is the set of options that best fits your own individual needs at a price you can afford .
How dress car indemnity companies pay out claims ?
Most of the best car policy companies offer respective ways to pay out claims after a settlement is reached. You can much choose between an eCheck, direct bank deposit, or a physical check .
What types of car insurance are required ?
car indemnity requirements vary by state. In most states, you ’ re required to carry some combination of property damage and bodily injury liability coverage. Some states require drivers to carry personal injury auspices coverage. There are only two states—New Hampshire and Virginia—that do not require drivers to carry any mannequin of car policy.
Read more: The 7 Best Car Insurance Companies (2022)
How can I find the best prices on cable car policy coverage ?
To find the best price on cable car insurance, you first need to request quotes from several providers in your sphere. After comparing these quotes, look for any discounts that may apply. For exemplar, many companies offer a multi-policy discount rate that lowers your agio if you bundle multiple types of indemnity with your car policy policy .
Our adept recapitulation team takes gratification in providing accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rate categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best car insurance providers .
- Affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. Our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities when giving this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it’s essential that a car insurance company offers an array of coverage options. We take into account types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Industry Standing: Our team considers Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings, financial strength, and years in business when giving this score.
- Availability: Auto insurers with greater state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Customer Service: Reputable car insurance providers operate with a certain degree of care for consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. Power claims servicing scores, and customer feedback.
- Online Experience: Insurers with easy-to-use websites and highly rated mobile apps scored best in this category.
Category : car insurance questions