- Gap insurance
- positron emission tomography coverage
- custom parts and equipment
- deductible savings bank
- Roadside aid
- continuous policy
- Accident forgiveness
More Progressive Insurance Reviews
- progressive Auto Insurance Review
- Progressive Home Insurance Review
*Data provided by Bankrate.com, price based on the state minimal compulsory policy. **J.D. power 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study military rank for the Florida region. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
The Average Cost of Car Insurance in Florida
According to 2021 data from Bankrate.com, Florida is the one of the most expensive states in the nation for car policy, with an average annual full coverage premium of $ 2,364. This is $ 690 more than the national modal, which is presently $ 1,674 per year. Florida car indemnity costs more than early states for a assortment of reasons. First and foremost, it has a reasonably senior high school death rate per 100,000 drivers. As of 2019, it was at 14.8 ( the U.S. average was 11 ). It besides has one of the highest uninsured motorist rates in the state. The Insurance Information Institute estimates that over 20 % of the population is driving without insurance. then there are, of course, natural disasters to consider. With hurricanes and floods occurring every year, Florida cable car indemnity companies know that they will have a skid of claims to process each class that are unrelated to driving.
Top 2 Cheapest Car Insurance Companies in Florida
|Company||Average Annual Minimum Coverage Premium*|
* Data provided by Bankrate.com, monetary value based on the state minimum command policy.
Florida Auto Insurance Company Average Premiums
|Florida Auto Insurance Company||Full Coverage Avg. Annual Premium||State Minimum Liability Avg. Annual Premium|
Top 2 Most Expensive Car Insurance Companies in Florida
|Company||Average Annual Minimum Coverage Premium*|
* Data provided by Bankrate.com, price based on the express minimum compulsory policy.
Top 3 Cheapest Cities for Car Insurance in Florida
|City||Average Annual Minimum Coverage Premium*|
|Ponce de Leon||$707|
* Data provided by Bankrate.com, price based on the express minimum want policy.
Top 3 Most Expensive Cities for Car Insurance in Florida
|City||Average Annual Minimum Coverage Premium*|
* Data provided by Bankrate.com, price based on the state minimum ask policy.
Florida Car Insurance: What You Need to Know
In the Sunshine department of state, drivers get the best rates when they drive sober and keep off tickets and accidents. Drug-impaired crashes are on the ascend, with drivers under 40 most often having marijuana in their system while drivers over 40 are impaired by other control substances. With a senior high school incidence of stumble and run crashes in the state, drivers should make sure to carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage to protect themselves from drivers who leave the picture of an accident .
- From 2018 to 2020, there were 2,975 drug-impaired crashes in the state, with 1,835 fatalities and 2,445 injuries resulting from the accidents.
- According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 31% of crash deaths in 2019 were sedan occupants, while 19% were occupants in pickup trucks and SUVs.
- Of the 340,918 car crashes in 2020, 92,134 were hit and run crashes resulting in 264 fatalities and 20,976 injuries.
Florida Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
Florida requires drives to carry at least the take after minimal coverage limits :
- $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP)
- $10,000 property damage liability per accident
Florida is a no-fault state, which means that drivers must carry PIP coverage to help pay for injuries of an accident, regardless of who is at fault. PIP pays for 80 % of injuries and lost wages, up to the policy limits. Property damage liability coverage pays for price you cause to another person ’ second vehicle or their place, like a fence or postbox, if you are at-fault for an accident. Unlike most other states, bodily injury liability is not required in Florida. however, to drive legally, you do have to show proof that you can pay for injuries that you cause. This is called a “ fiscal duty law. ” In Florida, most drivers probably choose to purchase car indemnity to satisfy this police. If you buy bodily injury policy coverage, the minimum required limits are :
- $10,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $20,000 bodily injury liability per accident
Florida car policy companies must besides offer uninsured motorist coverage, although it can be declined in writing. Florida ’ south department of state minimum car policy requirements are identical low compared to other states. If a driver is hurt in an accident or causes damage to a high-value token, like a build or expensive lavishness car, they could be sued if they don ’ t have enough coverage. Drivers in Florida are encouraged to have more coverage to provide fiscal protective covering. Though Florida ’ s minimal coverages aren ’ t the traditional bodily injury and property price limits we normally see in other states, Florida car policy laws require that drivers carry continuous coverage, even if the car international relations and security network ’ thymine operable. If you don ’ metric ton maintain continuous coverage, your license may be suspended and you may have to pay a fine of $ 500 to reinstate it once you get coverage back in force.
Additional Car Insurance Coverage in Florida
Although Florida drivers merely have to carry $ 10,000 in personal wound protective covering and an extra $ 10,000 in property damage indebtedness, many policy experts recommend to purchase extra car policy to protect the vehicle and the driver. Recommended Florida car insurance coverage includes :
- Bodily injury liability: Because Florida’s PIP minimums are so low, it’s highly encouraged to buy bodily injury liability to cover any incidents that result in medical injuries.
- Comprehensive: This optional coverage pays if your car is vandalized, stolen, if you hit an animal and for weather-related events, including storm surge.
- Collision: Collision coverage comes in when your vehicle is involved in a crash with another vehicle or object.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This coverage for your injuries if someone else hits you and they either don’t have enough liability coverage, none at all, or you’re a victim of a hit and run.
Self-Insurance in Florida
In Florida, drivers have the option to self-insure rather of purchasing the minimum car policy coverage required by law. Drivers who qualify for self-insurance can obtain a certificate from the indemnity department. To qualify, you must have at least $ 40,000 in unencumbered net deserving for the first cable car and $ 20,000 for each extra registered vehicle. register car owners who self-insure must renew their certificate per annum and prove their net income worth to waive the minimum Florida car policy requirements for drivers. They will besides be required to pay for anything they are deemed at fault for during an car accident as a resultant role of self-insuring .
How to Get Cheap Florida Car Insurance
One way drivers can get bum car insurance in Florida is to take full advantage of car policy discounts. The good news is that most providers offer multiple discounts that eligible drivers can apply to lower their premium. Though each of the best car policy companies in Florida offer a singular list, the succeed discounts are ones you can normally find no topic which ship’s company you ’ ra working with :
- Defensive driving course: Whether you take an on-line or in-person class, this rebate is an option in certain states and will help lower the price of car policy. Though it may come with an initial cost, the rebate you receive for completing an approve defensive driving course will finally pay for itself. If insurance companies consider you a bad driver, this option may offer invaluable savings on your exorbitant rates .
- Multi-Car: Unless you have a high-end or restored vintage car that a especial company won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate overlay, you can likely save a pile by having all your vehicles insured under one supplier. With the multi-car dismiss, you only have one insurance company to deal with and you get cheaper cable car policy rates .
- Paid-in-Full: If you can afford to pay your premium all at once, you may save money on your bounty. The measure you ’ ll write varies with each company, but if you can afford it and the party offers a paid-in-full bonus, it could lower your price for Florida cable car policy .
many drivers assume they ’ ll get the same cable car indemnity quotes in Florida when patronize or switch. When calculating premiums, Florida car indemnity providers look at a kind of factors. These include :
- Driving history/ past violations
- ZIP code
- Car make and model
- marital condition
- credit score
- deductible amount
Though each company looks at the same data, they place a unlike charge of importance on each agent. For exercise, drivers with a humble credit score may not be penalized as heavily with another provider. While shopping for car insurance quotes in Florida, make sure to discuss discounts with the supplier. While one company may appear to be the cheapest right off the bat, it may not be once discounts are applied. To determine which is the best paroxysm, you may need to speak with an agent .
Bundling home and auto insurance in Florida
Whether you live in an apartment, condominium, or a house, you can typically get a pretty brawny discount for bundling your home policy with your car insurance. If your home has any singular policy needs, however, be sure to discuss your coverage requirements with the agentive role. particular coverage needs like sinkhole and earthquake security aren ’ thymine offered by every supplier ( you may besides need to consider flood policy ampere well ). To find out if bundling gets you the best Florida cable car policy rates, request quotes for bundling home and car and insuring them individually. This way, you can get multiple quotes from unlike carriers to see if bundling saves you more or if station each policy with unlike insurers is a better choice .
Though price is important, selecting the best Florida car indemnity company involves considering more than just the base price. If you purchase a policy with a Florida car policy company that has low atonement ratings, you could potentially end up with a less-than-positive know with policy management or claims handling interactions. Before selecting a company, consider reviewing the latest J.D. Power scores, or read cable car policy party reviews and testimonials left by other customers. It could help you decide if the company ’ second answer and handle of issues is in course with one you want to do commercial enterprise with .
Choosing a company that provides its customers easy claims filing could save a fortune of meter and headache in the future. many Florida car indemnity providers offer on-line and fluid app claim filing, or 24-hour phone representatives who can answer questions any time. If the company makes it easy to check on the claims process and works with a team of highly rated repair shops, appraisers and inspectors, chances are, the charge process will be easier .
Florida Car Insurance FAQ
What is the minimum car insurance required in Florida?
Drivers in Florida who can not self-insure must carry at least $ 10,000 in personal injury protective covering coverage and $ 10,000 property damage liability. Drivers who do self-insure must recertify each year based on the current self-insurance guidelines as noted above .
What is the average auto insurance cost in Florida?
Drivers in Florida pay on average $ 1,101 for submit minimum liability coverage and $ 2,364 for full coverage according to 2021 data from Bankrate.com. Your rates could be higher or lower depending on your driving history, the type of car you drive, your slide fastener code and coverages you require .
Who has the cheapest car insurance for Florida?
Bankrate.com ’ randomness 2021 research shows that Geico has the cheapest minimum coverage agio in Florida at $ 841 per year, on average. For a policy with full coverage, State Farm may have the best rate based on its average annual premium of $ 1,739.
Reviews.com scores products, services and companies using five quantifiable criteria to help readers choose the best one for them. For the best car policy in Florida, our editorial team compared affordability, customer support, coverage options, customer satisfaction scores and on-line resources from each company and averaged the scores to produce our very own Reviews.com score. These scores were created with our readers in mind and are meant to be a helpful cock to simplify the serve of choosing which cable car policy party is best for you. As for average price, we used Bankrate.com ’ s data of cable car policy in Florida, based on the profiles of a 40-year male and female. For full moon coverage, the details used were the following :
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each department of state ’ mho requirements. Our base visibility drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a workweek and drive 12,000 miles annually. These are sample distribution rates and should entirely be used for relative purposes.
Read more: Best car insurance companies for 2022
About the Authors
Mandy Sleight Mandy Sleight is an policy writer for Reviews.com. Over the last three years, she has covered insurance providers, coverage, costs of policy, and more at MoneyGeek, Bankrate, and The simple Dollar .