If you ’ re thinking about driving in the Netherlands, it ’ second all-important you stay on the good side of the jurisprudence. Car policy in the Netherlands is mandate for all drivers and is adenine authoritative as arranging a dutch drive license .
There are many insurance providers and types to choose from when picking a policy. To help you understand these options, this accomplished guide explains everything you need to know about cable car insurance in the Netherlands .
It includes information on the surveil topics :
Reading: Car insurance in the Netherlands
not surely which way to turn when it comes to getting cable car policy ? Let Pricewise take the roulette wheel. Their on-line comparison cock checks the biggest dutch insurers sol you get the right batch for you and your car. Before you take to the Dutch roads, check Pricewise and get a quote for car policy nowadays .
Get a quote
Introduction to Dutch car insurance
In the Netherlands, insurance policies cover the car quite than the driver. consequently, anyone with a valid drive license can legally drive your cable car. however, the person whose list is on the indemnity remains legally creditworthy for any damage. By law, you must have at least third-party car insurance in the Netherlands. This covers you against any price or injury to others caused by your vehicle .
To take our car insurance in the Netherlands, you will need to :
- be a Dutch resident
- have a Dutch car, or an imported foreign car with a registered Dutch license plate
- have a valid driving license
Because the vehicle rather than the driver is insured, it is entirely possible to insure one cable car on your indemnity policy. however, many companies offer discount insurance rates for policies taken out on extra vehicles .
car insurance is the biggest policy commercialize in the Netherlands outside of health indemnity and life policy. In 2017 alone, there were around 1 million claims related to vehicle accidents in the Netherlands. Because of this, you have plenty of choices when it comes to taking out a car insurance policy. Car policy companies in the Netherlands include :
car indemnity companies in the Netherlands are regulated by the dutch Central Bank ( De Nederlandsche Bank – DNB ) and the Netherlands Authority for Financial Markets ( Autoreteit Financiele Markten – AFM ). The Netherlands Vehicle Authority ( RDW ) is responsible for checking that all vehicles in the state are properly insured .
Read more in these guides to insurance in the Netherlands, driving in the Netherlands, Dutch drivers ’ licenses, and buying a car in the Netherlands .
Can you use car insurance from another country in the Netherlands?
If you move to the Netherlands from another EU country, you can use an existing valid policy policy. however, this is only if coverage provided is equivalent to Dutch insurance coverage and your alien insurance company allows it .
Citizens from non-EU countries moving to the Netherlands normally have to take out a newfangled dutch car policy policy immediate .
Types of car insurance in the Netherlands
There are three main types of car insurance in the Netherlands. These are categorized as follows .
Third-party liability (WA-verzekering)
This is the mandate minimum level of fomite insurance in the Netherlands. This covers the damage caused by your car to other parties, including damage to vehicles, price to property, and injuries to others. It provides coverage if you have an accident where you were at fault .
Third-party liability insurance is a reasonable choice if you drive an older or cheap vehicle, or if you don ’ triiodothyronine force very much .
Extended liability (WA-beperkt casco)
besides known as WA-plus, this is the equivalent of policies sometimes called ‘ third gear party, ardor & larceny ’. In addition to covering third base parties for wrong caused by your car, it besides covers damage to your own fomite in certain circumstances beyond your restraint. These include :
- storm damage
- collisions with animals
besides known as comprehensive examination indemnity, this covers all damage to your own vehicle and price inflicted on one-third parties. There are some exceptions, normally concerning designed wrong. Check your policy policy for exclusions before sign .
All-risk insurance is a good choice if you have a newfangled or expensive car, where the cost of replacing the car yourself in the event of an incident would be besides great .
Car insurance costs
car insurance costs in the Netherlands, similar to those in early european countries, will be based on a issue of factors. You will be able to get cheaper car indemnity if you are considered a lower risk driver .
Factors taken into account on dutch car indemnity premiums include :
- driving history and experience
- age and health of vehicle owner
- vehicle value
- vehicle weight
You can besides lower your car policy by increasing your overindulgence or deductible. This is the sum that you have to pay towards any claim you make. All insurers will have a compulsory overindulgence but you can choose to increase this in arrange to reduce your monthly or annual premium .
average annual car indemnity premiums in the Netherlands in 2016 were around €400. This was the one-sixth highest in the EU .
Additional forms of car insurance in the Netherlands
You can opt for extra coverage when choosing car insurance in the Netherlands. Most companies offer a range of bespoke policies. Common extra forms of car indemnity include :
- Breakdown insurance – can cover the costs of getting your car repaired and towed away in the event of a breakdown, as well as replacement transport costs.
- No-claim protection – called no-claimbescherming, this will insure against the first incident in any policy year that might affect your no-claims bonus.
- Equipment and luggage insurance – covers damage to luggage and clothes belonging to you or other occupants in your vehicle.
- Personal accident insurance – called ongevallen inzittendenverzekering, covers medical costs and provides compensation in the event of disability or death.
- Legal expenses insurance – called rechtbijstandberzekering, covers all fees in the event of legal proceedings related to an incident.
Car insurance bonuses and penalties in the Netherlands
similar to many early places, the Netherlands uses the no-claims bonus system. This is where you can reduce your car indemnity premiums according to how many years you have gone without making an policy claim .
Each claim-free year entitles you to a far discount. Car policy companies in the Netherlands will each have their own no-claims outline, but it is potential to save a much as 80 % on annual policy costs for drawn-out periods without making a title ( for example, 10-15 years ) .
Dutch indemnity companies allow you to carry over claim-free years from another company if you switch policy. It is tied possible with many companies to use your partner ’ randomness claim-free years if you are insuring a car that will be used by a couple .
however, insurers are not obliged to recognize no-claims from early countries but they can do this at their own discretion .
While insurers offer discounts for no-claims periods, they will besides apply penalties to drivers with a inadequate drive record. Your premiums will rise if you :
- have been involved in any incidents that were your fault
- have been penalized for any misdemeanors such as speeding or drink-driving
- are a young or inexperienced driver
Car insurance companies in the Netherlands
once you ’ ve decided which kind of car indemnity you need, you ’ ll necessitate to choose your choose supplier. thankfully, the Netherlands has plenty of car policy companies, and some of the biggest dutch insurers include :
You can compare Dutch car policy policies quickly and efficiently using comparison websites like Pricewise, Independer, and United Consumers. Search our business directory for the Netherlands for more information on individual insurance companies and comparison websites .
Choosing car insurance in the Netherlands
When choosing car indemnity in the Netherlands, it ’ s a good mind to shop around for the best distribute. Beyond annual premium costs, things you might want to consider include :
- No-claims bonus – what discounts are offered and can you boost these by using no-claims from elsewhere (e.g., previous policies or from a partner)?
- Policy coverage – what is included and are there any exclusions? What add-ons are available? This is particularly important if choosing third party liability only.
- Excess/deductible options – what is the mandatory excess and what are the options for increasing it voluntarily?
- Company reputation – look at reviews and ratings to see what kind of feedback has been given by consumers.
- Claims process – how straightforward is it and how quickly will you get reimbursed when making a claim?
- Roadside assistance – does the company offer a good breakdown assistance policy?
Applying for car insurance in the Netherlands
Each dutch indemnity company will have its own applications procedure. Most companies now offer on-line applications via their websites, meaning that you can set up your indemnity policy promptly without having to make a phone name or visit an release .
In general, you will typically need to provide :
- vehicle license plate number
- address of policyholder
- proof of residence (i.e., residence permit or BSN)
- Dutch bank account details
- customs paperwork if you imported your car to the Netherlands
Policies should be sorted within a couple of days and you should receive :
- your car insurance policy
- EU accident statement form, to use in the event of an accident
- car insurance green card, which you will need to have if you drive the car anywhere outside of the EU
Making a car insurance claim in the Netherlands
If you need to make a car insurance claim in the Netherlands, you should do the pursue :
- fill in your car insurance claim report form (available from your insurer).
- file your insurance claim with your provider – this can usually be done by contacting the claim center or submitting your insurance claim online.
- complete your EU accident statement form, if your insurance claim is related to a road accident or incident. This should be sent to your insurer to support your claim.
- contact the police, in the event of an accident. The police will produce a separate incident report.
- get contact details of other parties involved.
- if possible, take photos and contact details of witnesses to the incident.
Make surely that you provide your insurance policy number on all documents sent to your insurance company .
In the Netherlands, there is no general deadline for making an policy claim. however, you should constantly file a claim ampere soon as possible in order to increase the chances of the claim being successful .
Canceling a contract or changing provider
It ’ randomness normally quite easy to cancel a dutch indemnity policy. many companies allow you to cancel on-line, although you will normally need to complete an on-line form and give reasons for cancellation. Companies will frequently try to dissuade you from canceling your policy .
however, you should check the cancellations policy with your provider for details of any notice periods that you need to give .
You are free to change providers at any time if you find a better manage elsewhere, so it pays to shop around when your policy is up for refilling. You can normally carry over any no-claims bonuses if switching from another dutch company. Some providers may besides allow you to transfer no-claims periods from insurers abroad .
Making a complaint about a Dutch car insurance company
If you want to make a charge about a dutch car policy company, you should follow these steps :
- Step one – file a complaint with the insurance company. They might be willing to resolve it without you taking it further.
- Step two – if you are not happy with the outcome of step one, you can escalate the complaint to the Dutch Financial Services Ombudsman (Klachteninstituut Financiële Dienstverlening – Kifid). Kifid consists of an Ombudsman and a Disputes Committee. If you’re not happy with the Ombudsman’s verdict, you can ask the Disputes Committee to look into it, but this will cost you €50.
- Step three – if you are still not satisfied, you can take the matter to court. However, this is likely to cost you so you should be confident that you have a strong case before embarking on this.
You can read more information on complaints and appeals on the AFM web site.
Read more: The 7 Best Car Insurance Companies (2022)
Roadside assistance in the Netherlands
car policy companies in the Netherlands may offer roadside aid indemnity. You can besides join a membership club such as the Royal Dutch Touring Club ( Algemene Nederlandse Wielrijdersbond – ANWB ). This is the most well-known association in the Netherlands providing wayside aid arsenic well as a range of early services .
Another newer constitution is Route Mobiel. Both the ANWB and Route Mobiel offer dislocation aid that covers the costs of emergency repair, substitute vehicle and repatriation if necessary. coverage is available for the Netherlands or can extend throughout the EU .
Costs depend on the extent of coverage chosen. Current ANWB packages range from €5.40 – €11.60 a calendar month for Dutch coverage and €7.90 – €18.35 a month for EU coverage .
Category : car insurance questions