You have money questions. Bankrate has answers. Our experts have been helping you master your money for over four decades. We continually strive to provide consumers with the expert advice and tools needed to succeed throughout life ’ s fiscal travel. Bankrate ’ s editorial team writes on behalf of YOU – the lector. Our goal is to give you the best advice to help you make ache personal finance decisions. We follow rigorous guidelines to ensure that our editorial content is not influenced by advertisers. Our editorial team receives no direct compensation from advertisers, and our content is thoroughly fact-checked to ensure accuracy. then, whether you ’ re reading an article or a review, you can trust that you ’ re getting credible and reliable information. We value your entrust. Our mission is to provide readers with accurate and indifferent information, and we have editorial standards in home to ensure that happens. Our editors and reporters thoroughly fact-check column content to ensure the information you ’ rhenium read is accurate. We maintain a firewall between our advertisers and our editorial team. Our editorial team does not receive direct compensation from our advertisers. Bankrate follows a rigid editorial policy, so you can trust that we ’ rhenium putting your interests foremost. Our award-winning editors and reporters create honest and accurate contented to help you make the correct fiscal decisions. All providers discussed on our locate are vetted based on the value they provide. And we constantly review our criteria to ensure we ’ rhenium putting accuracy first. Our insurance team is composed of agents, data analysts, and customers like you. They focus on the points consumers care about most — price, customer service, policy features and savings opportunities — so you can feel convinced about which supplier is right for you. Bankrate follows a hard-and-fast column policy, so you can trust that we ’ re putting your interests first. All of our content is authored by highly dependent professionals and reviewed by subject matter experts, who ensure everything we publish is objective, accurate and worthy of your trust. Founded in 1976, Bankrate has a hanker chase record of helping people make smart fiscal choices. We ’ ve maintained this reputation for over four decades by demystifying the fiscal decision-making process and giving people confidence in which actions to take adjacent. While we adhere to strict column integrity, this post may contain references to products from our partners. hera ‘s an explanation for how we make money. This capacity is powered by HomeInsurance.com ( NPN : 8781838 ). For more data, please see our Insurance disclosure. Geico offers drivers the cheapest fully coverage car policy in North Carolina, with an average annual premium of $ 835, according to Bankrate ’ s inquiry. Geico besides provides the cheapest minimal coverage in the Tar Heel State, with an average annual bounty of $ 260. These premiums are far lower than the national modal annual cost of car insurance, which is $ 1,674 for full moon coverage and $ 565 for minimal coverage. Although minimal coverage is broadly cheaper than full moon coverage, there are ways that you can purchase more coverage for further fiscal protection and however keep your rates low. If you are searching for the cheapest car insurance in North Carolina, Bankrate ’ s inquiry may help you decide which car insurance company is right for you .
The cheapest car insurance companies in North Carolina
Bankrate ’ s insurance editorial team began our research by obtaining recent 2021 premium data from Quadrant Information Services for the largest car indemnity companies in North Carolina by market share. We besides considered a few early authoritative factors in summation to searching for the companies with the cheapest rates. We analyzed each supplier ’ mho J.D. Power customer satisfaction scores and AM Best fiscal intensity ratings to ensure that the companies we featured had more to offer than barely low-cost rates. Based on our search criteria, drivers looking for cheap car indemnity in North Carolina may want to consider getting quotes from Geico, State Farm, Erie and North Carolina Farm Bureau. Nationwide could besides be a dear choice if you are seeking minimal coverage, and Penn National besides made our list of cheapest broad coverage companies.
The cheapest companies for minimum coverage in North Carolina
Geico and State Farm offer the cheapest minimum coverage premiums in North Carolina, according to our research. Minimum coverage means that you are only purchasing the state-required coverage types and infrastructure limits. however, most policy professionals recommend that you purchase higher indebtedness limits for greater fiscal protective covering. If you are seeking minimal coverage in North Carolina, we found these five national and regional companies are among the bum :
The cheapest companies for full coverage in North Carolina
Geico and State Farm besides sell the cheapest wide coverage cable car indemnity in North Carolina, based on our analysis. Full coverage adds both comprehensive and collision coverage for damage to your fomite. If you are looking for the cheapest car insurance in North Carolina and need fully coverage, these companies might be a estimable identify to start :
|Car insurance company
|Average annual full coverage premium
|Average monthly full coverage premium
|North Carolina Farm Bureau
Events that can impact your cheap rates in North Carolina
car policy rates do not stay the same throughout your life. Rates change based on several factors, including live events such as getting married, moving to a new community, adding a adolescent driver, or driving-related incidents such as an at-fault accident, speeding slate or a DUI. When your life changes, you may want to consider reviewing your car indemnity to make sure your coverage is appropriate and that your company is even the best match. It may be helpful to review your policy and coverage types if you have recently :
- Added a teen driver: Teens are typically considered high-risk drivers by most insurance companies due to their inexperience. If you have a teen driver getting their license, you might want to shop your policy to see which carrier can offer you the cheapest rate. A number of cheap car insurance companies are available for teen drivers, and many carriers offer discounts to help offset the increase in your premium, such as driver’s education programs, good grades and being away at college without a vehicle.
- Received a speeding ticket: Speeding tickets are a common conviction and can negatively impact your premiums. Speeding is considered a risky behavior and can be a sign that you might cause an accident, so insurance companies will generally charge you more. However, not all companies will penalize you the same amount, so getting quotes can be helpful.
- Involved in an at-fault accident: It may be common knowledge that accidents can increase your insurance premium, but just like with speeding tickets, not all companies respond in the same way. If you have recently caused an accident, you might want to talk to your provider about discounts or coverage changes that could lower your premium. Several carriers offer accident forgiveness programs for your first at-fault accident, so you will not face an automatic surcharge. Shopping your policy could also help you find cheaper coverage.
- Deemed a high-risk driver: High-risk drivers generally have poor driving records, including accidents, tickets and DUI convictions. If you have been deemed a high-risk driver, you may have experienced a significant increase in your premium or found it difficult to qualify for coverage with certain insurers. Not all insurance companies will insure high-risk drivers, so you may have to do a bit more research to find cheap car insurance.
Cheapest cities in North Carolina for minimum coverage
How much you pay for car insurance in North Carolina will besides depend heavily on where you live in the state. generally, the more urban your area, the more you will pay. Cities with eminent population densities, like Charlotte and Raleigh, tend to have higher median premiums, while drivers in smaller markets typically pay less for car insurance. More vehicles on the road by and large mean a higher probability of getting into an accident. If you live in one of these smaller North Carolina communities, you might pay less for minimum coverage car indemnity :
|Average annual minimum coverage premium
|Average monthly minimum coverage premium
Cheapest cities in North Carolina for full coverage
Your wax coverage premium in North Carolina can be affected by your city and even your ZIP code, a well. Higher price of living areas, like Greensboro and Durham, tend to have higher average premiums. This may be due in part to these areas having by and large higher costs of vehicle repairs and undertaking. Because entire coverage car insurance covers damage to your fomite, these costs can increase your agio. however, it is potential to still find cheap fully coverage. The follow four cities pay among the lowest average rates for full coverage in North Carolina :
|Average annual full coverage premium
|Average monthly full coverage premium
Minimum coverage requirements for North Carolina drivers
Like most states, North Carolina has minimum coverage car policy requirements. To drive legally in the state, you must carry at least the following coverage types and limits :
- $30,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $60,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 property damage liability per accident
- $30,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury liability per person
- $60,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 uninsured motorist property damage liability per accident
- $30,000 underinsured motorist bodily injury liability per person
- $60,000 underinsured motorist bodily injury liability per accident
however, most indemnity professionals recommend that you purchase higher limits if you can afford to. Minimum coverage limits are quite low and may not provide adequate protection in the event of an at-fault accident. additionally, if you have a lend or lease on your fomite, you probable need to have full coverage to satisfy your fiscal institution ’ s requirements .
Here is how to find (and keep) cheap car insurance in North Carolina
Finding brassy cable car insurance may take a bite of inquiry, but it is possible. once you ’ ve found a brassy policy, you may need to employ some strategies to keep your rates down. here are some ways you can find and keep the cheapest car insurance for your needs :
- Shop around: Getting quotes from different insurance providers could help you find the most affordable rates for your needs. Each company has its own rating system, so shopping around can help you see which carrier can offer you the lowest premium for the coverage you need.
- Avoid tickets and accidents: Drivers with clean motor vehicle records tend to pay lower premiums. Having accidents, tickets or DUI convictions on your driving record could indicate that you engage in risky driving habits, which tends to increase premiums.
Frequently asked questions
What is the average cost of car insurance in the U.S.?
car policy in North Carolina is much cheaper on average than most states. The average cost of minimum coverage in the submit is $ 413 per class, while full coverage costs an average of $ 1,325 per annum. For comparison, the national average is $ 565 per year for minimum coverage and $ 1,674 per year for full coverage, making North Carolina quite a bit cheaper, on average, than the average cost of car indemnity nationally .
Can you drive without car insurance in North Carolina?
Driving without indemnity is illegal in North Carolina and you must maintain at least the state ’ s minimal cable car policy limits to drive legally. This includes both liability and uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage, in lawsuit you are in an accident with person who does not have car insurance. If you are caught driving without car policy, you could be fined, have your license suspended or even face imprison time. If you cause an accident and you do not have indemnity, you are creditworthy for paying for the damages out of pocket .
Who has the cheapest car insurance in North Carolina?
Geico and State Farm both tend to sell brassy car policy for drivers, with modal rates well below the state ’ second average. Keep in mind, though, that the cheapest company will vary based on your personal rate factors, your coverage needs and the features that you seek out, like a mobile app or certain discounts. Although budget is significant, the cheapest coverage international relations and security network ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate constantly the best coverage. Shopping about and comparing companies, prices, coverage levels and policy features can be helpful when looking for a cheap car policy company that besides fits your alone situation.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean drive record, dependable credit and the comply entire coverage limits :
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that met each state ’ s requirements. Our root visibility drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, permute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles per annum. These are sample rates and should only be used for comparative purposes .