Texas auto insurance laws
here are some key Texas car policy laws drivers should be mindful of .
Texas is an at-fault state
At-fault car policy states require the driver who is found to be at fault in the accident to pay for medical bills for themselves and the other driver, if necessary. This is different from no-fault states, where both drivers are supposed to have personal injury auspices ( PIP ). Each uses their own PIP to pay for their medical expenses, careless of who caused the accident .
Consequences for driving without insurance in Texas
The first time a person is caught driving without indemnity in Texas, they can expect a fine somewhere between $ 175 and $ 350. subsequent offenses can bring fines between $ 350 and $ 1,000. Driving without insurance can besides lead to pause of a driver ‘s license and vehicle registration. Some may even have their vehicles impounded.
Texas minimum coverage requirements
Texas minimal coverage requirements include the come .
Bodily injury liability coverage
Texas drivers are required to have at least :
- $30,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $60,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per accident
Property damage liability coverage
Drivers in Texas must besides purchase at least $ 25,000 in place damage liability coverage to pay for vehicle repairs or other personal place they damage in a clang.
Read more: Low Cost Auto Insurance – Atlanta, Georgia
How to get cheap auto insurance in Texas
Try these tips to score the cheapest car insurance in Texas .
- Shop around: All insurance companies weigh the various parts of a driver’s application differently, so getting multiple car insurance quotes is key to determining which will offer the best car insurance in Texas. Start with some of the companies listed above.
- Look into discounts: Car insurance companies have their own set of discounts to help drivers save. Some insurance discounts are automatically applied when a driver signs up while others require drivers to opt in. For example, an increasing number of insurers offer discounts to drivers willing to install a monitoring device in their vehicles to demonstrate their safe driving habits.
- Raise the deductible: Car insurance deductibles are your out-of-pocket costs in the event of an accident, while premiums are the monthly costs you pay for your insurance. Raising the deductible often lowers Texas auto insurance premiums. If a driver saves for their deductible in an emergency fund, this shouldn’t affect their financial security in the event of an accident.
Other things to consider when looking for car insurance in Texas
Keep the follow things in take care when shop for brassy car insurance in Texas .
Texas sees the most hail claims of any state in the U.S.
There were about 193,000 Texas car policy claims filed in 2019 due to hail, according to the Insurance Information Institute. That ‘s far and away the most in the state. Drivers may be able to avoid this issue by parking their vehicles in a garage or under a carport. But this is n’t always possible.
It ‘s wise to invest in comprehensive coverage a good. This pays for weather-related damages to your vehicle a well as animal-vehicle crashes and more. Lenders may require drivers with a rent or loanword on their vehicle to purchase this coverage .
Odessa, Texas is a hotbed for auto theft
Drivers in the Odessa, Texas sphere can expect to pay slenderly more for car indemnity than drivers in other parts of the state because Odessa sees a senior high school rate of vehicle thefts every year, according to the Insurance Information Institute. This is so far another reason to consider investing in comprehensive coverage, evening if you are n’t required to have it. It will pay a driver for their stolen fomite if they ‘re ineffective to recover it or if they do recover it and it ‘s damaged. State minimum liability coverage wo n’t protect drivers from this .